Zaman

Apr 15, 2019
Hello,
the vmbr0 is
IP
192.168.100.*
gateway
mask
i try to add vmbr1 using these ips( * bridge)
try
192.168.101.*
gateway
and try
gateway
but still get
"Default gateway already exists on interface 'vmbr0'."
so does there is bug as
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ifupdown/+bug/1390777
or there is another reason
I need the gateway to access to the service .
it's near to :
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/p...eway-already-exists-on-interface-vmbr0.28714/
best regards

This is how networking usually works - you only have one default route - even if you could set the same route twice in the routing table the kernel would always take the first entry.

What do you want to accomplish? (i.e. why do you need a second interface and where do you want to connect to from it?) usually you can set a few more specific routes in a post-up command, in certain (in my experience very rare circumstances) you can create a second routing table and use iptables to mark the packets according to their interface and put them into the fitting routing table based on that - but as said this is not needed usually.

Hope this helps!

thank u for ur reply,and my long time reply:(
so can u,give me a link for how to do that,thanks

I'm also interested in this. My purpose for the second NIC was to utilize a private network provided by the NOC in order to cluster the servers on a faster 10G port.

I'm also interested in this. My purpose for the second NIC was to utilize a private network provided by the NOC in order to cluster the servers on a faster 10G port.

but that does not require a default route for that private network - you just want to route the private subnet over this interface, so set the prefix/netmask accordingly and you are done.

but that does not require a default route for that private network - you just want to route the private subnet over this interface, so set the prefix/netmask accordingly and you are done.
any link for routing ?
thanks

what do you mean? you can find some documentation for the userspace tools (usually) used to set it up here: http://www.policyrouting.org/iproute2.doc.html#ss9.5
Thank full for ur instructions,
if i has default ip is 192.168.88.2/24 gateway: 192.168.88.1 and i want another as 192.168.77.2/24
is should route
ip add route 192.168.77.2 via 192.168.88.2/24
what certificate cover this side of linux?
thanks again

if 192.168.88.1 is your gateway, everything that doesn't have a more specific route will go over that link anyway, adding a second route probably doesn't help unless I misunderstand what you are trying to achieve....

if 192.168.88.1 is your gateway, everything that doesn't have a more specific route will go over that link anyway, adding a second route probably doesn't help unless I misunderstand what you are trying to achieve....
as i remember when try to ping that ip like 192.168.77.2 was not possible
so is the it's right to solve it by route
or there is another solution
even I'm thinking to add port sfp for storage so is solved with route
thanks

I have no idea how your network is setup so I can't tell you whether adding a route would help or not - I suggest you read up on networking fundamentals, or get someone that knows about that kind of stuff on board to help you.

Reactions: wigor and LnxBil

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!