Proxmox + Optimus Computeur + Gnome or Panthon desktop = crash

AdrienF

Oct 9, 2018
France
Hello everyone,

I'm a student in a french informatic school and I've got the project to turn my laptot in a VM server using proxmox OS. But my laptop must also be in the same time server and client, I want to be able to connect on the vm from the laptop that host the vm in the same time. Here it's not the problem i can install, create vm, launch and use them from a web browser in both gnome or pantheon desktop environnement.

The problem is that as my laptop got optimus technology so is used to boot with nouveau.modeset=0 that the OS work without bugs or any problem,
(without that i can't have a working desktop environnement and the shutdown or reboot stuck with a watchog error)
With the nouveau.modeset=0 there is poor performance on graphics and the computer heats a lot, at a such point that i think the computer have something like a safety mode, beacause two time when he was incredibly hot he has automatically shut down.

So here the specs i've got a MSI GE62VR apache pro 7RF :
- i7-7700hq
- GTX 1060
- 16go ram
- ssd + hdd

I notice that proxmox is based on debian I used proxmox 5.2 which seems to be based on debian 9 stretch

So because it's a debian I tried to install bumblebee, first I tried the nouveau driver (bumblebee) but my card is not supported apparently, then I tried many time the privative one (bumblebee-nvidia) with no concluding result.
The things that i was able to get where just : fixed blackscren, a loop on login page, 'oh no something wrong happen', or the system freezing-crashing at the boot phase just when the '[OK] Start Light DM service' appears

I may have reinstall proxmox about 15 time, and I'm getting a little bit bored because I don't know whats wrong I also seen a post of a person with the same computer as me who finaly get to use bumblebee with a 'real debian' without any trouble so it's possible with mine using proxmox i guess.

After each full reinstall of proxmox I have used debian-facile wiki.debian tutorials to try to install and make work bumblebee

I've tried different methods and orders in the commands, but nothing went well. There is a few things that i've notice that can cause problems but i've manage to solve them and sometimes it work some other time it dont.

First proxmox didn't use linux-headers it use pve-headers so can its disturb the compilation process of some package, dkms ... ?
For example modprobe bbswitch return module not found in directory after is install.. and two time i installed before pve-headers and bbswitch have work is this a coincidence ??

nvidia-driver is install with apt but modinfo didn't return anything for nvidia or nvidia-current, but modinfo nvidia-current have only work two time the same time than the bbswitch was working

And I don't know why but there is only one time I've install bumblebee before the desktop environnement and all the test that was ask to run during the tutorial was working
cat /proc/acpi/bbswitch before using optirun was returning off when optirun was running cat /proc/acpi/bbswitch was returning on and then after otpirun as that ther is no X to load cat /proc/acpi/bbswitch has return to off
So here before i install a desktop bumblebee was working great i was having modinfo nvidia-current returning something, modprobe bbswitch was working too, i had correctly configure all .conf in /bumblebee. So i decide to install pantheon desktop and when i reboot the os was freezing at '[OK] Start Light DM service' .... here we go again ...

Also report that startx from tty cmd give a xauth file /root/.xauthority does not exist
and then blackscreen or came back to tty cmd

I think i may have put all the information i can get in this post maybe too much !
I really need this configuration, debian seems to work with optimus with the computer i get like a another person did i think it's just a configuration problem that i didn't see or something like that. Or i could probably be totaly wrong, if anyone could help me getting out of that it would be great, really !

PS: Sorry if i made some grammar errors it's not my native language i do my best to be understand ;)

Thanks have a niceday.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!