Hi, Am new, and already laugh about such stubborness (most probably cause having bought a subscription and feeling more valuable than the rest of the world) and not to share knowledge with the outer world, while even members remind you ongoingly to remember that this is open source, no matter what---
Well done, Helping him probably, but why let the initial problem unsolved to the earth? Are you working for 1and1 (ionos) or so?

Hi, Am new, and already laugh about such stubborness (most probably cause having bought a subscription and feeling more valuable than the rest of the world) and not to share knowledge with the outer world, while even members remind you ongoingly to remember that this is open source, no matter what---
Well done, Helping him probably, but why let the initial problem unsolved to the earth? Are you working for 1and1 (ionos) or so?
People have a life and family. When one becomes older time also becomes more valuable and there is not so much time left to help here and there for free. This doesn't bring bread on the table(maybe in star trek). Life also taught me that giving things for free unlocks something like: "hey give me free advice, as you have given them, since you seem to know how to solve this or that. And dare you if you don't respond fast enough", in short, people seem to forget that knowledge and experience requires a lot of time investment before one can use it. It's always easier to bash about people I guess before asking for the why.

Btw open source does not mean knowledge and experience is free. Nor is it's software quiet often. It takes time and money to maintain it, please don't ignore this fact.
I bought a subscription since I want to support this great project in general. And we are also reselling Proxmox, so thanks for that comment. :D anyways, have a great week!

People have a life and family. When one becomes older time also becomes more valuable and there is not so much time left to help here and there for free. This doesn't bring bread on the table(maybe in star trek). Life also taught me that giving things for free unlocks something like: "hey give me free advice, as you have given them, since you seem to know how to solve this or that. And dare you if you don't respond fast enough", in short, people seem to forget that knowledge and experience requires a lot of time investment before one can use it. It's always easier to bash about people I guess before asking for the why.

Btw open source does not mean knowledge and experience is free. Nor is it's software quiet often. It takes time and money to maintain it, please don't ignore this fact.
I bought a subscription since I want to support this great project in general. And we are also reselling Proxmox, so thanks for that comment. :D anyways, have a great week!
All correct, but if viewed at it wholefully, from perspectives given, not even 10% value again, and... to take the time for text long like this....

I came across this post when looking for answers. And put my precious few minutes to register to reply - purely to thank DerDanilo's continued contribution in the community and from my point of view who has been very actively helping others. And at the same point, I am surprised by ssldn's attitude of judging "value" in the community. correct your attitude please.

Time is the most precious. Knowledge is the second and financial reward is just a bear minimal compensation. Do not judge "value" or take people's contribution in this community for granted or as if they should always help you with no return asked.

I don't know DerDanilo nor am I Proxmox enthusiastic.

Reactions: DerDanilo
I came across this post when looking for answers. And put my precious few minutes to register to reply - purely to thank DerDanilo's continued contribution in the community and from my point of view who has been very actively helping others. And at the same point, I am surprised by ssldn's attitude of judging "value" in the community. correct your attitude please.

Time is the most precious. Knowledge is the second and financial reward is just a bear minimal compensation. Do not judge "value" or take people's contribution in this community for granted or as if they should always help you with no return asked.

I don't know DerDanilo nor am I Proxmox enthusiastic.
Sure. You got a point and I share Your opinion fully. Also, I wont start a big discussion, like I've avoided already before. I doubt that you believe right, according my attitude, but let me explain at least a bit. I saw one personal issue in this kind of post (while It in no way was against anybody personally, I admit each and any member of the open source commnunity, especially the good support of DeDanilo he openly and freely offers), which was that he took the time and effort to explain in longer terms something about free will and time that is offered, in which time he could have given as well the explanation of the issue. I observe people either wasting the time and energy for discussions or giving heads up to something that never follows (like, e.g. someone stating he could bring solution A, B or C but then disappears) instead of using THIS particular time to solve it, openly and published for the later world. It's a common issue.
And thanks to your post picking it up, maybe some people more than before become aware, that often it's better to write nothing.

I personally occasionally plan to give more back to the community through at least translations or anything, but often my own time lacks too much to give a project a finishing. So, very often my appraisal rests in opening issues and topics, raising questions or critique someone (which rather seldomly happens) :) ;... but as from people only opening issues, which are then solved in written text, published in a great forum like this for the later world to read and help others to NOT repeat mistakes, then this is at least something given back, through opening ways from own problems.
Sometimes also starting to write because something minor like here, helps, like you did now.:cool:
Cheers.

Wish a good computing time. All the best.
Andre

P.S.: And my irony about maybe being a member of this or that company was me pointing at forums where hundreds of members post anything like: "ah, I got my problem solved" and then disappear and a solution is sought for a never ending time. Do you not think, then it would be better to say nothing at all anymore?
Especially often company forums have it (in my eyes) that the supporter even says "Come in private " and the f...... s... is closed. Not my view of a helping community,so I wanted to raise my voice against this becoming a normality. And this forum still is super helpful, extremly helpful, compared to others. Am totally thankful for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: DerDanilo
Mein-IP: 46.4.1.100 Gateway: 46.4.1.150 Broadcast: 46.4.1.190 Netmask: 255.255.255.224 Second-IP: 46.4.1.200 Separate Mac: 00:11:22:33:44

Hi Kaan,

I had the same problem like you. I've hit every single google result to get to know why. On Debian 8 it worked Debian 9 it didn't at all. I sit down and was thinking, why. I stumbled on my last proxmox server (I dropped and switched). Notice: I refresh your post every day to see if maybe someone came up with a solution, now who I finally got the problem solved, I register to answer you.

Code:
### Hetzner Online GmbH installimage
Block first the source interface directory (It's nothing inside, it will delay only for few ns)
#source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
iface lo inet6 loopback

auto enp6s0
# First we setup IPv4
iface enp6s0 inet manual

# Second we setup IPv6
iface enp6s0 inet6 manual

# Now comes our "magic" trick
auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
  address 46.4.1.100
  netmask 255.255.255.255
  gateway 46.4.1.150
  pointopoint 46.4.1.150
  broadcast 46.4.1.159 # Important change this to your broadcast IP!!!
  bridge_ports enp6s0
  bridge_stp off
  bridge_fd 0
  up ip route add 46.4.1.200/32 dev vmbr0

iface enp6s0 inet6 static
  address 2a03:5f7:123:123::2
  netmask 64
  gateway fe80::1

Please change the broadcast settings, this is for our IP and VM's IP.

After setting up, reboot (Not just restart networking), IPv4 and IPv6 should work directly. Setup also a Internal Network "vmbr1" for internal communication (It's better to have one for future development). I copy you below my own settings

Code:
auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet static
        address  10.10.10.1
        netmask  255.255.255.0
        bridge_ports none
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0

If you want also to have outside connection you will need postroute it (IPtables).

Code:
        post-up   echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
        post-up   iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s '10.10.10.0/24' -o vmbr0-j MASQUERADE
        post-down iptables -t nat -D POSTROUTING -s '10.10.10.0/24' -o vmbr0 -j MASQUERADE

I hope I could help you, setting up the proxmox networking can be sometimes "head-to-keyboard" featuring...
Good afternoon, it's been several days and I can't get it to work, I have applied your configuration and neither, PVE remains inaccessible, I have to enter Rescue mode and establish the backup of the interfaces file and I can now enter Pve ... etc, any suggestions ? Thank you

Good afternoon, it's been several days and I can't get it to work, I have applied your configuration and neither, PVE remains inaccessible, I have to enter Rescue mode and establish the backup of the interfaces file and I can now enter Pve ... etc, any suggestions ? Thank you
The problem is Hetzner has specific configuration and they have linked IP with MAC address. I fell into same problem too. So order KVM and change configuration like in first post in this thread. You will have same IPs on eth0 and vmbr0. After that PVE will be available...

A bit late but hope it will help to someone else

However I am curious if anyone else solved problem when PVE run in bridged mode with just single IP. Because you are not able setup bridge_port on vmbr0 I dont know what to do. Is necessary order one more public IP to make everything work? I dont think it is necessary but with restrictions they have I don't see any option. All VMs will have static IPs from private range, will be connected to vmbr0 and vmbr1 (which is public network)

The problem with Hetzner support they will tell you they sell hardware and they not offer support for dedicated servers.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!