Andy Melton

Oct 18, 2016
I have a server with the following SSD/HDD configuration:

- 1x60 GB SSD as the primary storage medium for the OS.
- 1x2 TB HDD that was my previous backup drive (I am thinking of replacing this one with another SSD for containers / VMs)
- 5 TB HDDs that will become my storage and backup drives.

It's not a fancy server at all. It's just an old/ancient Dell PowerEdge 840 that has been heavily upgraded / maxed out in regards to specifications. It's my home server. Proxox runs fine. I've got a container installed and ready to be configured as an OwnCloud server.

The problem I am having is trying to decide how to manage the two 5 TB HDDs. Should I have those two drives mounted when the server boots via FSTAB or should I give Proxmox control over them using the web based interface (which I was able to accomplish using pvcreate / vgcreate commands referenced in the Storage Model wiki). I am okay with either option. I just don't know which is best and I don't know how I would give the OwnCloud image access to either one. I'm thinking of using one of the 5TB drives as the storage drive and the other as a backup. If I am able to figure out how to give a storage disk to the container, should I give it another storage disk on the backup drive or should I use Proxmox's built-in backup utility?

I know, I know! Super n00b here, but if you have any suggestions (other than to give up) I would be super appreciative! Thanks!

when I setup my other drives for image backups and a backup place to run a vm from I mounted them using LVM at the command line and set them up with fstab to mount, then I added them into Proxmox as directories. I used 2 x 2TB drives and have had no issues so far and its been up for about 2 weeks now. though I am new to Proxmox as well, just FYI.

when I setup my other drives for image backups and a backup place to run a vm from I mounted them using LVM at the command line and set them up with fstab to mount, then I added them into Proxmox as directories. I used 2 x 2TB drives and have had no issues so far and its been up for about 2 weeks now. though I am new to Proxmox as well, just FYI.

Thank you for your response. Can you share a screenshot/export of your drive configuration in the web GUI and your FSTAB. I might understand a little better that way.

Here is my FSTAB and web gui for the storage section, I also have some NFS storage installed in the cluster as well using external NAS devices.

details.png

Thank you for your assistance. I do understand it a little better now! HA! I was able to get the drives listed by adding them as directories.

The first time I had no issues, but I decided to redo the partitions on the backup drive. Now I'm only seeing that drive as having 11.43 GB available out of 5 TB. There's nothing on the drive!

One step forward, two steps back!

Thank you lilCDNnrg!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!