proxmox 4.3 installation fails with "Error: Driver 'pcspkr' is already registered. aborting..."

geometricpiss

Dec 3, 2016
trying to install proxmox 4.3 on a little zotac machine i picked up (zotac zbox ci323). first i tried booting from a usb flash drive, since this thing has no optical drive, and it was complaining that it couldn't find a cdrom. then i burned the image to a disc and got it to begin the installation process with a usb optical drive.

it churns away for a little bit before erroring out with "Error: Driver 'pcspkr' is already registered. aborting..."
normally i would blacklist the pcspkr driver (booting with the option modprobe.blacklist=pcspkr) but when i boot in debug mode, i have no usb input (this appears to be a known issue, https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/debug-mode-no-inputs-possible.26117/)

anybody have any creative solutions?

that log message is rather misleading - aborting refers to registering the driver, not the boot or installation process. it can be safely ignored - is there any other output or error message?

hello. the installer output is below. note the "aborting..." after it tries registering the pcspkr driver, followed by "Installation aborted":

Code:
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'nxp_nci_i2c': Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmseg)
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'ghash_clmulni_intel': Inalid argument
searching for cdrom
testing again in 5 seconds
testing cdrom /dev/sr0
found proxmox cdrom
Starting Proxmox installation
Installing additional hardware drivers
[ ok ] Starting the hotplug events dispatcher: udevd.
[ ok ] Synthesizing the initial hotplug events...done.
[....] Waiting for /dev to be fully populated...[    20.147489] Error: Driver 'pcspkr' is already registered. aborting...
[    33.071679] snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1b.0: failed to add i915 component master (-19)
[    33.100957] hdaudio hdaudioC0D0: Unable to bind to the codec
[    33.105322] hdaudio hdaudioC0D2: Unable to bind to the codec
done.
Detecting network settings... done
\nInstallation aborted - unable to continue (type exit or CTRL-D to reboot)

Im trying to do the exact same thing and getting the exact same result!

I've also tried the old v3.4 but it gets to the same point.

I get that message on Ubutnu, CentOS and Debian on various systems that boot just fine. It means nothing for the boot. It just happens to be the last message displayed, it has nothing to do with any problem you might be having.

ok well is there a way of running the install with a debug flag so we can see exactly where the installer is failing?

I've just tried to install using debug mode from the main menu but it stops at a point and says "type exit or ctrl-D to continue" but it doesnt seem to have loaded the keyboard drivers at that point so cant continue. I kept hitting the caps lock key during the normal install and the keyboard only comes alive after its tried the audio driver and seems to live as it brings the network up. I can see there are kernel options (such as quiet and debug) when it loads but dont know how to edit these. Have tried a multitude of Alt-F buttons but nothing works.

Managed to install on top of Debian which seems to do the job.

To follow up my last post reference the keyboard not working in debug. There seems to be a bug reported that the debug console doesnt load USB drivers so you cant use a USB keyboard to go through debug, only a PS/2 one.

I've just tried to install using debug mode from the main menu but it stops at a point and says "type exit or ctrl-D to continue" but it doesnt seem to have loaded the keyboard drivers at that point so cant continue.

I can confirm exactly the same problem with version proxmox-ve_4.4-eb2d6f1e-2.iso.
Hardware: Zotac Nano CI323, Samsung SSD and 2x8GB Ram.

Install on top of Debian works well.

Managed to install on top of Debian which seems to do the job.

To follow up my last post reference the keyboard not working in debug. There seems to be a bug reported that the debug console doesnt load USB drivers so you cant use a USB keyboard to go through debug, only a PS/2 one.
Is legacy USB support enabled in BIOS?
It could also be a missing USB keyboard driver in the proxmox installer.

Yeh I think the bug is that debug mode is designed to not load any USB drivers, which the Zotac CI323 only has USB ports and no PS2

Hi, have you solved the problem of installing proxmox on your CI323? thanks
As above, install base debian and install proxmox ontop, have been working fine since I posted this and even recently did the upgrade to v5.0 which went smoothly.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!