PPPoE Over VirtIO 802.1Q VLAN - Multiqueues? (pfSense)

blackpaw

Renowned Member
Nov 1, 2013
I have have successfully configured 3 ADSL2+ modems to work with a pfSense VM
  • Each modem is plugged into our DLINk DGS-1210 Switch (ports 1,2 & 3)
  • Ports 1,2 &3 are on VLANS 101, 102 & 103 respectively.
  • pfSense is driving them via PPPoE vlan interfaces
    • vs 2.4.3.1
    • KVM
      • 4 Cores
    • One virtio nic
      • 4 queues
    • Also serves two IPSec Site-Site tunnels

Much to my surprise it actually works and is providing load balanced WAN to our SMB. Haven't stress tested it yet.

I think pfSense supports multiqueue natively and I'm running the LAN port and 3 tagged WAN ports off the one virtio nic. Its not like its a high bandwidth wan, each adsl modem syncs at 15MB/s (welcome to "broadband" in a major australian metro area).

But I'm wondering if it would be more stable/better performance to just create 4 nics and dedicate each one to a separate connection.

Thoughts? thanks.

Bit premature on the "all ok" front :) Having pfSense as the gateway semeed to do something weird with multicast, cluster quorum just vanished :( reverting to our old gateway hardware resolved the issue. Looked into igmp snooping & queries, just couldn't get my head round it.

Switched to unicast and restored pfSense as the gateway, no issues. Must admit its a really good wan load balancer.

Bit premature on the "all ok" front :) Having pfSense as the gateway semeed to do something weird with multicast, cluster quorum just vanished :( reverting to our old gateway hardware resolved the issue. Looked into igmp snooping & queries, just couldn't get my head round it.

Switched to unicast and restored pfSense as the gateway, no issues. Must admit its a really good wan load balancer.
Hi, sorry to resurrect this post, but I am trying to get my PPPoE connection up and running in PFsense, and it's failing to come up.

How did you setup your interfaces/bridges in Proxmox to make this work?

I currently have the Modem connected to the server directly, with that interface connected to a bridge, and that bridge connected to PFsense WAN port.

I have verified the modem is working fine if I dial it manually from another machine using a PPoE connection.

Gut feeling is it's something to do with it having to go via the bridge, but I can't see a way around that?

Thanks

Gareth

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!