Official DarkMode

I will add constructive criticism to the dark theme!

this is a custom dark theme and it looks great
1680263235335.png

the original one doesn't look that interesting because of those white inserts
1680263308136.png

I will add constructive criticism to the dark theme!

this is a custom dark theme and it looks great

the original one doesn't look that interesting because of those white inserts
Sorry but this is far from being constructive as its opinionated ("looks great" or "doesn't look interesting") and not really providing actual arguments nor actionable suggestions.

Note that we neither wanted to create an interesting theme, as for one that is highly subjective and for another this as for one isn't a movie or game or the like but a "workhorse" GUI for an enterprise class virtualization & cluster stack.
Similar for looks, this is highly subjective, and no theme will be able to cater to all of our users taste in the same way.

Our main goals were:
  • Ensure that there's still a high contrast, for accessibility.
  • Translate the current light theme to a dark theme for consistency and as that is an established theme we optimized the UI for since years.
That said, thanks to Daniel's and Stefan's ground laying work of designing a good SCSS style framework for the current UI and not just hard coding the new dark mode theme but making the theme loading support generic, it's now much easier to create and integrate a custom color theme compared to the previous situation.

So, while it isn't totally out of the question that we might add another theme variant someday, we will only fix accessibility issues (which means mostly contrast) for the new official Proxmox Dark theme.

@t.lamprecht Could you maybe add some info to the official documentation on how to change certain theme aspects that allow e.g. to change colors used?

Nice to have: Is it easy to implement some options in the UI DC config or via config file that allow to set hex values for colours and upload custom logo (or 2nd logo) etc. ?
I know that we can overwrite those but it would be better to have that integrated properly.

@t.lamprecht Could you maybe add some info to the official documentation on how to change certain theme aspects that allow e.g. to change colors used?
The current dark theme can be found in of our git repo:
https://git.proxmox.com/?p=proxmox-widget-toolkit.git;a=tree;f=src/proxmox-dark;hb=HEAD
If one knows a bit of (s)CSS it should be pretty straight forward.

and upload custom logo (or 2nd logo) etc. ?
Definitively not; Proxmox projects are the target of copy cats already as is, often even violating the AGPLv3 license – sadly most often in countries where the jurisdictions even seem to promote such violations of foreign, well mostly western, IP; hurting the whole projects and all of its users with that in the long term.

I know that we can overwrite those but it would be better to have that integrated properly.
Changing the logo needs changing the source (and yes the Proxmox, registered trademark and its logo is also part of the source), which then needs to especially adhere to all points of section five to the AGPLv3 license, if you expose this to any other parties:

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/agpl-3.0.en.html#section5

Reactions: jsterr and Moayad
Liking the dark mode, but it seems that the default is always dark. While I appreciate, that PVE won't know the users preferences at the login page, when I log in, change back to light mode, log out then log back in again, Im back in dark mode.

Can the mode that's chosen be saved against the users record so that if light is chosen, then light is what you get when you log in?

Can the mode that's chosen be saved against the users record so that if light is chosen, then light is what you get when you log in?
We store that information in a Cookie. So unless you cleared that cookie or switch browsers, that should persist. At least if you log in or out again.

The default (that gets applied when you don't set a preference manually) is to use the auto theme. That theme switches the colors based on the preferes-color-scheme media feature. That can be changed either in your browser's settings or in your OS settings.

There currently is no way to store such information on a per-user basis in Proxmox VE. So implementing this would require a new way of storing per-user preferences. However, there is already a feature request for setting a default theme per-user [2]. You can read the discussion there on why or why not such a feature would be implemented.

[1]: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/@media/prefers-color-scheme
[2]: https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4644

Understood. I do have dark mode set on my OS and presumably my browser has also adopted that and I probably won't change that, but as a web developer I'm always clearing my cookies and so the "saved" state is generally lost on a regular basis.

Dark Mode is a step in the right direction, but perhaps if I could request that its not tied to a cookie but to the users account in the future, that would be great. I wonder how popular that would be or whether my request is really an edge case.

It's a slight annoyance that I need to change back to light (my preference believe it or not) as my retinas haven't yet burned through.

Dark Mode is a step in the right direction, but perhaps if I could request that its not tied to a cookie but to the users account in the future, that would be great. I wonder how popular that would be or whether my request is really an edge case.
Again, if you think this feature should exist, chime in over in our Bugzilla [2]. The more support a feature has over there, the more likely it is that we will implement. One great example for this is the dark mode itself. :)

[2]: https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4644

Last edited:
A small improvement in the UI would be to remove the table border and remove the color change on each line :
before.pngafter.png

There are a lot of other simple improvement to make a nice UI/UX but it doesn't seem to be a priority for the dev team :(

A small improvement in the UI would be to remove the table border and remove the color change on each line :
View attachment 49960View attachment 49961

There are a lot of other simple improvement to make a nice UI/UX but it doesn't seem to be a priority for the dev team :(

What is nice in your eyes, is not necessarily nice in the eyes of others. All subjective... ;)

If you find things, that could be improved (for all users and not only for your own taste), e.g.: readability, then feel free to open a enhancement ticket:
https://bugzilla.proxmox.com

That was actually considered during the creation of the dark theme. However, we did not go down this path due two reason:

1. Crisp (the light theme) uses lots of borders and alternating colors for rows in tables. We wanted to stay consistent with that and offer an option that would feel familiar to users of Crisp.
  2. As @Dunuin pointed out, this makes tables easier to parse. Alternating colors do help when it comes to differentiating between two adjacent lines. This is especially important in large tables with many differently sized columns.
I understand that this may not satisfy certain design sensibilities. Especially “more modern” ones that tend to use a lot more white space to mitigate some readability issues. However, using more whitespace wouldn't have worked here, as that would have required a different layout altogether.

As @Neobin pointed out, we are open to suggestions though. So you are welcome to open an issue in the bug tracker and provide an argument for why you want to see certain changes implemented.

Last edited:

Works fine here:
1693545778429.png

Ensure that you have fully reloaded the web UI with clearing caches, e.g., using CTRL + SHIFT + R, or for macOS + Alt + R.

If that still doesn't help, please post your full pveversion -v output (or copy it from the web UI: Node -> Summary -> Package Versions button) and tell us what browser/version you use.

Reactions: djsami and sterzy
promlem 8.0.5
That does not look like our official dark mode. The colors in the header look more like Discord Dark [1]. We do not officially support Discord Dark, and our dark mode does break the way Discord Dark styles graphs (see [2]). So if you are using Discord Dark (or installed that previously) make sure to fully remove it. Then switch to the dark color theme via our theme picker and fully reload the website as described by @t.lamprecht.

[1]: https://github.com/Weilbyte/PVEDiscordDark
[2]: https://github.com/Weilbyte/PVEDiscordDark/issues/160

Last edited:
I like the color change between the lines. Makes it much easier to read those tables.
People with dyslexia can struggle to track across lines of text, having the alternating line colours makes it a lot easier to do and reduces visual stress (as does dark mode).

Reactions: sterzy

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!