No 2.5GbE connection on Intel NUC 11 pro

FreeTimeCoder

Jun 17, 2021
Hello all,
I just bought an Intel NUC 11 Pro and wanted to run some VMs on it via proxmox. First, the installation did not work and aborted with an error. Now I tried the new version with the 5.11 kernel and the installation goes through cleanly and everything works. Unfortunately the network card only connects to 1GbE instead of 2.5GbE. The integrated network card, my switch and the cables are all 2.5GbE capable. Other devices also work fine with 2.5GbE on my switch. The card in the NUC is an Intel® Ethernet Controller i225-LM.
Question:
Where can I configure the speed if necessary or install a better driver? Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you for your suggestions.

Many greetings,
FTC (Oliver)

Hi FTC, pardon me for hijacking the post.
I have installed pve 6.4.1 on nuc 11 without any workaround on the pve kernel.
The network device was shown on the Web UI. However I am unsure if it is the LAN or WiFi module.
I access the shell and was able to connect to Internet with few simple test. Curl and ping Google.com

A bridge was created by default as well.

I created a win 10 VM with default settings. However there is no Internet connection. Any I missing any steps?

I tried switching network adapter of the VMs and it ended up missing drivers. There are unknown PCI device and ether net device.

Last edited:
Hi FTC, pardon me for hijacking the post.
I have installed pve 6.4.1 on nuc 11 without any workaround on the pve kernel.
The network device was shown on the Web UI. However I am unsure if it is the LAN or WiFi module.
I access the shell and was able to connect to Internet with few simple test. Curl and ping Google.com

A bridge was created by default as well.

I created a win 10 VM with default settings. However there is no Internet connection. Any I missing any steps?

I tried switching network adapter of the VMs and it ended up missing drivers. There are unknown PCI device and ether net device.
Install the optional 5.11 kernel (apt update && apt install pve-kernel-5.11 and reboot after that). The default kernel (5.4) got a bugged intel driver that doesn't allow the i225-LM to use bridges so VMs can't get online. Using kernel 5.11 with the newer intel drivers should fix this.

Last edited:
Reactions: j3z
i couldnt get proxmox ve 6.4 with the kernel 5.4 running on the new intel nuc 11 without any troubleshooting. the nuc wont boot with the kernel 5.11 installed.
so i did some troubleshooting and google seach to find a way to get pve 6.4 with the kernel 5.4 installed. win10 VMs wont get an IP adress when i use the internal LAN so i had to use an usb to r45 dongle to get it running.

how did u get the kernel 5.11 running on the nuc 11?

i couldnt get proxmox ve 6.4 with the kernel 5.4 running on the new intel nuc 11 without any troubleshooting. the nuc wont boot with the kernel 5.11 installed.
so i did some troubleshooting and google seach to find a way to get pve 6.4 with the kernel 5.4 installed. win10 VMs wont get an IP adress when i use the internal LAN so i had to use an usb to r45 dongle to get it running.

how did u get the kernel 5.11 running on the nuc 11?
Hi!
With the standard image (ISO) from the homepage, I could not install it either. There are instructions on the net where you can make a few settings regarding the drivers to perform the installation with the 5.4 kernel. But I took the test version with 5.11 kernel and was able to install everything from the beginning without problems.

http://download.proxmox.com/temp/proxmox-ve-6.4-iso-with-5.11-kernel/

Hello all,
I just bought an Intel NUC 11 Pro and wanted to run some VMs on it via proxmox. First, the installation did not work and aborted with an error. Now I tried the new version with the 5.11 kernel and the installation goes through cleanly and everything works. Unfortunately the network card only connects to 1GbE instead of 2.5GbE. The integrated network card, my switch and the cables are all 2.5GbE capable. Other devices also work fine with 2.5GbE on my switch. The card in the NUC is an Intel® Ethernet Controller i225-LM.
Question:
Where can I configure the speed if necessary or install a better driver? Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you for your suggestions.

Many greetings,
FTC (Oliver)
After updating all components and restarting the server, it now also connects to the 2.5GbE. There were probably a few more updates in the last few days that have solved my problem. :)

Reactions: j3z
Install the optional 5.11 kernel (apt update && apt install pve-kernel-5.11 and reboot after that). The default kernel (5.4) got a bugged intel driver that doesn't allow the i225-LM to use bridges so VMs can't get online. Using kernel 5.11 with the newer intel drivers should fix this.

Sorry for the late update.
Its working now after using kernel 5.11.

Thanks!!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!