My proxmox server doesn't appear in my router so I can't open the port

Tbvns

Jun 7, 2022
I don't know why but my proxmox server doesn't appear in my router with all the other device. I can connect to it and it can be pinged with my main pc.

Does someone have a way to make it appear ?

The reason it is probably not appearing is because it is not using DHCP and so would not be quote registered with your "router". You should be able to add a port forward on the "router" and manually specify the destination IP Address. However, I would not be exposing any hypervisor to the web, if you are needing to access Proxmox from outside your network you need to look at implementing either a Road-Warrior VPN so you can connect your computer back to your local network or a Site-to-Site VPN so you can connect your two or more locations together.

The reason it is probably not appearing is because it is not using DHCP and so would not be quote registered with your "router". You should be able to add a port forward on the "router" and manually specify the destination IP Address. However, I would not be exposing any hypervisor to the web, if you are needing to access Proxmox from outside your network you need to look at implementing either a Road-Warrior VPN so you can connect your computer back to your local network or a Site-to-Site VPN so you can connect your two or more locations together.
I see but I don't want to use a VPN and my router doesn't let me put custom IP, I need to use there crappy things where I need to select the name of the computer and the port.

If you can create reservations to always give the same IP to a given MAC address in your router, you may try to:

- Create a reservation using the mac of your server and assing the same IP that it currently has. This is important as Proxmox uses entries from /etc/hosts
- Switch Proxmox to use DHCP for its main IP. Make a copy of /etc/network/interfaces first! You may loose access to your server through the network, so ready up a console access before doing any change.

If you can create reservations to always give the same IP to a given MAC address in your router, you may try to:

- Create a reservation using the mac of your server and assing the same IP that it currently has. This is important as Proxmox uses entries from /etc/hosts
- Switch Proxmox to use DHCP for its main IP. Make a copy of /etc/network/interfaces first! You may loose access to your server through the network, so ready up a console access before doing any change.
I tried and it work! Now I can see the proxmox server in my router, but I can't connect to it anymore. When I tried, I got a connection reset error (in French)

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    18.4 KB · Views: 45
Use the console and check which ip address did the DHCP server assigned to the server with ip addr. Make sure that the DHCP server gave your Promox server the right IP.

Use the console and check which ip address did the DHCP server assigned to the server with ip addr. Make sure that the DHCP server gave your Promox server the right IP.
Everything seems to be fine … I don't know where is the issue.

I can still access it when I use the local IP address. That's strange.

Attachments

• Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    3.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    2.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    12.9 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!