Moving existing vm from local to lvm

asmar

Nov 15, 2014
Hi all,

I've copied over an old proxmox server to a new one the backup file.
Then I restore it via the gui but instead of storing it under the LVM which I got plenty of space it is under the local disk.

How can I transfer the existing VM under the LVM? All I need is to point/move the disk from the local to LVM.

Code:
root@proxmox2:~# lvscan
  ACTIVE            '/dev/pve/swap' [8.00 GiB] inherit
  ACTIVE            '/dev/pve/root' [96.00 GiB] inherit
  ACTIVE            '/dev/pve/data' [7.16 TiB] inherit
  ACTIVE            '/dev/pve/vm-100-disk-1' [500.00 GiB] inherit
  ACTIVE            '/dev/pve/vm-101-disk-1' [750.00 GiB] inherit

root@proxmox2:~# df -h
Filesystem                                       Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev                                              63G     0   63G   0% /dev
tmpfs                                             13G  9.2M   13G   1% /run
/dev/mapper/pve-root                              94G   14G   76G  16% /
tmpfs                                             63G   43M   63G   1% /dev/shm
tmpfs                                            5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
tmpfs                                             63G     0   63G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/sda2                                        253M  290K  252M   1% /boot/efi
/dev/fuse                                         30M   16K   30M   1% /etc/pve
tmpfs                                             13G     0   13G   0% /run/user/0

Hi!
VM's-disk from local store - on filesystem in file.
LVM use for raw format only. Like partition on HDD.

Best regards,
Gosha

you can use the 'move disk' function on the gui to move disks between storages

there is no move disk for LXC, use backup and restore (restore on the GUI only offers the simple mode, but on the CLI / API you have an advanced mode that allows to use different storages for different mount points and so on).

Reactions: asmar
Thanks Fabian. When I backup the LXC during the restore it will ask me where to store it?

yes, you can select the storage (on restore).

The best and free way is to use the account , the fast way is to use transfer tool to do that , all i know,

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!