Migrate Host ZFS Boot "rpool" from MBR to UEFI booting?

mattlach

Mar 23, 2016
Boston, MA
Hey all,

I run a standalone Proxmox server which I have been upgrading in place for years. I am currently on 6.x, not having upgraded to 7 yet.

It was a clean install on Proxmox 4.2 I believe.

When i initially installed it, I set it up to boot from a ZFS mirror of two SATA SSD's using traditional BIOS (MBR?) booting.

Now I am considering migrating the the two mirrored boot drives to NVMe, which in turn requires an EFI boot.

Are there any suggestions how to best accomplish this transition?

I remember it being complicated when I did it on my Linux desktop years ago, and I imagine it only being trickier on this server.

-- OR --

Am I better off just doing a clean install on two new mirrored NVMe drives and migrating everything over?

Is there a good way to accomplish this, saving all of my VM and container settings, as well as all the host network settings? I really do not feel like setting everything up from scratch again, especially not with the way all of my separate VLAN's are configured.

I'd appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks,
Matt

I think I'd take the route of doing a fresh clean install on the new system with the NVMe's - after creating backups of all machines from the old system - afterwards you restore the machines from the backup to the new system.

The upside is that you have a fresh state - while debian systems can be upgraded across many versions without many issues - there's always something which gets deprecated and which you need to clean up

Additionally you'd have the old state on the SATA SSDs should something go wrong.

I hope this helps!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!