Low ZFS read performance Disk->Tape

//update: This looks a whole lot better. Seems to sustain the LTO Drive speed except a very few dips. Thank you!

regards.

Reactions: dcsapak
//update: This looks a whole lot better. Seems to sustain the LTO Drive speed except a very few dips. Thank you!

regards.
nice great to hear

as for the slowdowns:

AFAICS from the logs you posted and what i observed there are 3 types of slowdowns that are expected now:

* when the tape has to reverse directions (this has to be done since for one track the tape has to reverse the direction a few times)
* when we sync/flush/commit (this should only once happen every 128GiB now)
* when the storage slows down, e.g. in your case i think that happens sometimes when the chunks are very small and the disk array can't keep up with that many IO requests (i also saw it here a correlation between lower speeds and higher chunk# in the logs)

Just note that in the final version of the first patch (with the threads) the name of the datastore property will change, so you have to either delete that again before upgrading to version with the patch applied or manually editing the config after upgrading since the gui will produce an error for an unknown option

no not really, but i'll try to remember to update this thread when it's applied and packaged ;)

I was wondering all the time how LTO is handling constant buffer underruns. Will it just pause and wait until the buffer is filled or will the constant tape speed just be tapered down?

afaik that depends on the individual hardware.
old (before LTO) drives had to do a full stop rewind and restart, which was not healthy, google "shoe-shining", "Back-Hitching" and tape drives.

i think LTO had DRM "data rate matching" from the start.
modern LTO drives can slow down, afaik IBM drives have like 7 speed's at what they can write to the tape.
HP has afaik a patent on "infinite" speeds for their drives.
(each vendor has different speeds for their drives)
and i think some even support (can be configured) to write "zero's" to the tape in favor to keep it running, but wasting space.

so in short on modern LTO drives buffer underrun should not be that often and not as harm full as in the past.

check the tech specs for your quantum drive, chances are that with your ~100MB/s you never had a buffer underrun.

Reactions: Lephisto

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!