Lfroelje

Sep 6, 2023
Hello,
I recently added a NVIDIA Quadro P400 as a 2nd GPU to my Proxmox Node for plex transcoding and PiKVM. My Hardware thus consists of
  • ASRock x570 Steel Legend
  • AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
  • NVIDIA RTX 3060
  • NVIDIA Quadro P400
  • 2x M.2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB PCIE 4.0 ssd
  • 2x sata 3 ssd's
  • a bunch of sata hdd's
I have a Windows VM running to which I assigned each NVME ssd's LVM-Thinpool and added the RTX 3060 with PCIE Passthrough. After plugging the Quadro P400 into the second PCIEx16 slot I couldn't connect to my Proxmox node anymore, which I fixed with the solution this Forum thread provided. At this point both of my NVME ssds and the corresponding thinpools were still being shown in the Node/disks and Node/disks/LVM-Thin tabs. I then wanted to start my Windows VM but got the following Error:
Command failed with status code 5. command '/sbin/vgscan --ignorelockingfailure --mknodes' failed: exit code 5 TASK ERROR: no such logical volume proxmox0-thin1/proxmox0-thin1
(proxmox0-thin1 was the name I gave my second NVME ssd)
Afterwards the second NVME and its LVM-Thinpool disappeared from the node/disks tab and in the Sidebar it shows that the storage proxmox0-thin1 is unavailable. It still shows up at Datacenter/storage though (with enabled: yes).
I then rebooted my node. In the "shutdown logs" (not sure if thats the right term) it shows:
Job dm-event.service/stop running 1min 40s
and it only shuts down after the time has passed.
After booting the previously missing ssd shows up and is available, atleast up until I start my Windows VM, at which point it disappears once again.
So far I have tried removing the ssd's thinpool from the VM in the VM/Hardware tab. I have also removed the LVM-Thin altoghether, wiped the whole disk proxmox0-thin1 and rebooted. But still, as soon as I start the Windows VM the disk becomes unavailable, even though the VM boots just fine at this point and the disk isn't assigned to the VM in anymore (as far as I know atleast).
I'm really at my wit's end here, hopefully one of you can help me out here.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!