Tortillas

Feb 21, 2024
I removed a node from a cluster. Barely used, nothing important on it. I am a bit stressed out and cannot remember, but I might have left the node on during the removal with pvecm delnode mini (it was called mini). After that command, I used expected 1 to change number of votes. Got that. I had an issue with the gui, though, where it wouldn't remove the node from the left dropdown. Following a guide I found, I moved the old mini node from etc/pve/nodes to /old/mini. After a bit of thought, I remembered that the browser might've cached that it is still there, and doing ctrl shift r, I came back to find the node gone and my VMs not present on the left side. They are still up and running though, and I can ssh into them, but they seem to be in an odd state (cannot access sites running on them). I moved the node back into the nodes folder after that, and tried to follow the guide on removing a node here:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Cluster_Manager#pvecm_separate_node_without_reinstall
I ran the commands in this section, and still no dice. I restarted the server several times, and still they do not appear.
I have no clue where I went wrong here, I have only really used linux for about 3 months now. Could I get some help finding where I went wrong so that I can get things up and running properly again? I was in the middle of restructuring so that I can do backups of my VMs, ironically, so I have no backups of my installation.

I've attached a picture of the current state it looks to be in, where the VMs are not presenting themselves on the GUI.

Edit: I am also unable to reach nginx, which is running on one of the nodes. I just checked again, and I can no longer ssh into the VMs.

Edit: I tried to edit the interface to add the second on the board, but it ended up nuking the network. Connection goes down entirely when the proxmox machine is plugged in now. I will deal with this tomorrow.

Attachments

• state.png
    state.png
    38.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Found the issue, with the help of Impact on the discord server proxcord. Thank you, Impact :)

The issue ended up being the faulty removal of a node; In my case, when it was removed, it seemed to have misplaced the configuration files for the nodes, and they were not appearing in the GUI. To find where they went, use the command find /etc/pve/ -name "*.conf" and it will reveal the location of the configuration files. In my case, all of the config files were in the path /etc/pve/nodes/node2/node1/qemu-server, with node2 being the node I removed. These configuration files should be in /etc/pve/nodes/node1/qemu-server. I ended up using the following command to move them to the correct folder.

cp /etc/pve/nodes/node2/node1/qemu-server/*.conf /etc/pve/node1/qemu-server/

Shortly after this, they should appear in the GUI. If they don't, use ctrl + shift + r to reload cache. If that didn't work, give it a reboot I suppose.

After receiving no help here, I looked up if there was a discord server so that I could receive some help. I found a thread a few years back about proxcord, and received help immediately after joining and explaining the problem. If you need some help and don't have a support subscription, I'd recommend joining it. Again, thank you Impact.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!