ISO Storage on ZFS??? Possible?

fsociety3765

Jan 23, 2021
Hi all,

I have a new Proxmox installation that I have setup. I have 2x 128GB Supermicro SATA DOM's that I used for the installation.

My plan was to partition them each with a 60GB and 50GB partition. Install Proxmox on two 60GB partitions as a mirror for redundancy. Then with the two 50GB partitions create a stripe for ISO storage.

Proxmox is up and running using the 60GB mirror. Using a mixture of cfisk and zpool on the command line I partitioned and created a new zpool with the two 50GB partitions as a stripe. This is online and showing up in Proxmox.

I then realised that there are limitations to what content can be stored on the various storage types and that storing ISO's on this new pool doesn't appear to be possible.

Is there any way I can make this work? Perhaps using a different method?

Thanks,

FS

apoc

Renowned Member
Oct 13, 2017
Register the storage (your zfs pool) and make it an image/iso store. Should work.

fsociety3765

Jan 23, 2021
Thanks.

When you say to register the storage, what exactly do you mean? The storage is showing up in Proxmox under the ZFS section for the node. I created a new directory on it but ISO images wasn't an option.

apoc

Renowned Member
Oct 13, 2017
Go to "DataCenter" (Left side) -> choose "Storage" (on the right side).
You there can add storage sources (abstraction layer) and define those as "Disk Image", "Container" or "ISO-Image".
Choose ISO-Image for the ZFS Pool you have created.

fsociety3765

Jan 23, 2021
Sorry. This doesn't seem to be possible for ZFS? Unless I'm missing something. DataCentre -> Storage is where I created the storage. But when you select it as ZFS storage, the option for IOS images is not there.

Looking at the docs I think what I'm trying to do is not possible but I may be wrong.

Screenshot 2021-01-24 at 01.32.38.png

FS

Last edited:

fsociety3765

Jan 23, 2021
Wondering whether to bin the whole idea off. I was just thinking of trying to get the better R/W performance of a stripe for storing the ISO's where redundancy isn't really a big concern.

If I can't do that then I may as well re-install Proxmox and use the full amount of space (or near to) on each SATA DOM in a mirror.

Any further advice would be greatly appreciated as this is pretty much a clean install at the moment with no other configuration so dumping it wouldn't be an issue. I'm holding off on doing any further configuration at the minute.

apoc

Renowned Member
Oct 13, 2017
I am having iso-store on my raidz3 - so it should be possible.
Perhaps though I did not look close enough and you need to provide the "directory" option and point the path to your mounted zpool.
Please remember that zfs is a filesystem so you should see it mounted with its pool name (typically).

fsociety3765

Jan 23, 2021
Of course. Thank you!

When I created the zpool on the command line I mounted it at /mnt/storage.

I've now created a dataset at storage/iso and then in DataCentre -> Storage added that location as a Directory which can contain ISO’s.

I've uploaded a couple of ISO images to it and it seems to be working.

Thanks again.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get your own in 60 seconds.

Buy now!