davidlopez9210

Mar 25, 2024
Hello there!

I'm trying to configure a Proxmox cluster using a VPN from 2 different geographic sites with a total of 3 nodes. I'd like to enable Ceph cluster using ODS disks but it looks like ceph Monitors and ODS configurations need to use a network in the same segment like 192.168.2.0/24

If I configure the VPN (Via IpSec or OpenVpn) using PfSense or any other software, as a general rule, they need to configure a network in one of the sites different than the other so it requires to be 192.168.1.0/24 for site 1 and then 192.168.2.0/24 for site 2.

Does anyone happen to know how to address this situation? The ideal would be having all the VM/Containers as part of the same "simulated" network like 192.168.2.0/24 regardless the physical place where they're located.

I'd apreciate any information you guys could provide me.

Regards!

Last edited:
Ceph isn't limited to single subnet.

Anyway, using "standard" vpn for different geo is nonsense.

Also keep the latency in mind. Not recommended to cluster nodes in different geographical locations:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Cluster_Manager#pvecm_cluster_network_requirements said:

Network Requirements​

The Proxmox VE cluster stack requires a reliable network with latencies under 5 milliseconds (LAN performance) between all nodes to operate stably. While on setups with a small node count a network with higher latencies may work, this is not guaranteed and gets rather unlikely with more than three nodes and latencies above around 10 ms.

Ok, I understand what you guys are saying so I guess my next question would be... How do you guys think I may address a high availability business continue disaster recovery plan in case something happens in the location where I have the main cluster? I was considering create a cluster via VPN but it looks like Proxmox is not entirely prepared for that

Two clusters, two SSD-only PBSs, one at each site and then syncing the PBSs to be able to do fast "live restores" (you can start and use a VM while it is being restored) on the non-failed cluster in case one cluster goes down?

Last edited:
Alright man, thanks for the info. I hadn't taken into account the Proxmox Backup Server solution so I'll give it a try and will let you know how it works.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!