[SOLVED] How can I specifiy a nominal speed of a kvm virtio NIC?

UdoB

Famous Member
Nov 1, 2016
Germany
Good morning,

while expanding monitoring of my PVE systems I am stumbling over a (for me) problematic detail: the reported speed of a virtual NIC is always "10", which means 10 MBit/s. Specifically the host tells me this for any VM:
Code:
root@pm1:~# cat /sys/class/net/tap110i0/speed

Just for comparision: the hardware NICs shows 1000 MBit/s:
Code:
root@pm1:~# cat /sys/class/net/enp3s0f0/speed

This is a virtual NIC using the virtio driver. It is expected to not report the physical speed. I know it is not limiting the actual transfer speed in any way. So there is no problem regarding performance.

Except for monitoring it triggers warnings much too early: saturation of a link in percent is calculated like $actualvalue/$maxvalue*100. So when I transmit 20 MBit/s I get a warning that my network is overloaded because it transmits 200 percent of its capabilities :)

My question boils down to: how can I specify the nominal speed of a virtio-NIC in a sane way?

While I CAN spedifiy a nominal speed this way:
Code:
root@pm1:~# ethtool -s tap110i0 speed 1000
root@pm1:~# cat /sys/class/net/tap110i0/speed

... this is probably not the correct way to do it - and it is not persistent...

Also "man qm" --> "net[n]: [model=]<enum> [,bridge=<bridge>] [,firewall=<1|0>] [,link_down=<1|0>] [,macaddr=<XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX>] [,mtu=<integer>] [,queues=<integer>] [,rate=<number>] [,tag=<integer>] [,trunks=<vlanid[;vlanid...]>] [,<model>=<macaddr>]" doesn't help as "rate" is a different thing here.

The configuration of the NIC is simply this:
Code:
root@pm1:~# grep net0:  /etc/pve/local/qemu-server/110.conf
net0: virtio=4E:69:F4:3C:C0:97,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1,tag=814

Any idea and any pointer welcome...

Best regards

Edit a few minutes later: @fabian postet a Link in the german forum: https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4220
My Bridge has a physical NIC with 1GBit/s already...
2. Edit: referenced bug reopened

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!