How can I setup a PVE sync job to PBS?

ZaxLofful

Apr 25, 2021
I currently backup my VMs to the local data-store on PVE, works great. Recently, I have added PBS into the mix, but am struggling to figure out how to integrate it into my infrastructure in a meaningful way.

There are two options I see, but am unable to figure out how to implement either:

1. Create a sync job that will sync backups from my PVE->PBS
    • (Can only find info for PBS->PBS)
  2. Create a backup job with two destinations
    • (I don't think you can do this sadly)
  3. ??????
One of the things that I am trying to avoid is having two backup jobs, one for each location; this will cause backups to take twice as long and use twice as much CPU.

either setup a local PBS, backup to that and sync to the other PBS, or backup directly to the "other" PBS.

sync is better , iirc, backup to another PBS cannot use fast incremental mode (dirty-bitmap)

I mean, directly backup only to the "other" PBS, not to a local one and the "other" one. ;) switching backup targets will invalidate the bitmap, that is correct (and should thus be avoided).

Reactions: _gabriel
VMA/tar backups and PBS backups are totally different and separate, yes.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!