Help setup backup server

it3.primer

Jan 31, 2019
Hi,

first of all thank you for the great software, we enjoy using it for more than a year now. Also sorry for any noob questions i will make. So we are using proxmox for our server without any problem and we are now thinking to make use of our old server as backup option. Our main goal is, in case of a hardware problem in our main server, first of all not to lose data and second to reduce the downtime.

So based on this i installed proxmox on our old server and tried to use the build in replication feature. This failed cause we dont use ZFS, but instead we use LVM. After further reading and testing i understand that even if we switch to ZFS it will not help cause we will still have only two nodes in our cluster. Also i don't really want to switch to ZFS, for performance and mostly stability issues we might have (no ECC memory plus power shutdowns every now and then).

As an other solution i am thinking to create backup jobs, from the GUI, for all my VMs (e.x. once a day) and then to sync these backup files with the backup storage in the old server (maybe use rsync for this). So if anything will happen i will already have all the VM backups in the other server and i will just restore them.

Now i would like to hear your opinions. What do you thing we can do to have a basic backup system with our current hardware?

Thank you in advance for any help!

As an other solution i am thinking to create backup jobs, from the GUI, for all my VMs (e.x. once a day) and then to sync these backup files with the backup storage in the old server (maybe use rsync for this). So if anything will happen i will already have all the VM backups in the other server and i will just restore them.

i don't know if it's possible to use glusterfs-server directly with the promox iso install, but with promox installation over a debian installation, it's very simple, and no need to do the rsync, every thing is in real time and automatic.

For you setup, it's like a raid 1 over the network between the two node

More simple but less effective, you can do two job, one backup on each serveur. But the backup is done twice.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!