Having Login Failed, and partial failure of VM’s

DR4GON

Sep 7, 2021
tldr; I have Ubuntu 20.04 in a VM, running Plex, Sonarr, Radarr, Transmission, Jackett, and PIA.
The VM and Transmission are inaccessible. When I try to log into the server, it says the login is wrong. Help, I don’t know where to start. Reboot fixes, but it’s not viable to only reboot because I don’t always have physical access to the server.

More info below;
First time posting, but I’ve been using Proxmox for a few months now. Transitioned from FreeNAS after 13 months, and after trying Unraid for 7 days.

I have a Virtual Machine running Ubuntu 20.04, which I just install programs too. After the issues with FreeNAS and Jails, I’ve instead decided on a single OS based installation. Much easier to backup. Plex, Sonarr, Radarr and Jackett are all accessible all the time, even when the others aren’t.

Occasionally, though only recently, Transmission will become unresponsive, and when I attempt to load the VM, it will say it’s offline. “Error 401: No Ticket” This usually means I have been signed out of the website UI and going to it and signing it, will allow access to the VM again. Instead, when I go to the website UI, I get the message “Error: Login failed. Please try again”

I know the password isn’t wrong, because I use a password manager for complex password management, and when I reboot the server, it comes back online for a few days, only to eventually “soft die” again. My file server is running full speed and Plex, Sonarr, Radarr and Jackett are all fully accessible. But Transmission throws “Problem Loading Page: Unable to connect.

If I sign into the command line on the machine, it lets me into the server fine, so I really need some help running some commands to “fix things”, but even then, I don’t know what’s broken if the VM is “down” but 4 of the internal programs are “up”.

the problem is probably bad time sync and your local time and the server time drift so far apart that the ticket is not valid anymore (whats going on with transmission i cannot say, but i would consult the logs)

Okay we can ignore the issues with the VM. It’s just locked due to backup failure.

Sign into command line:

systemctl restart pve-cluster
systemctl restart pvedaemon
systemctl restart pveproxy
qm unlock 100
qm stop 100

VM is now stopped.

But I’m still unable to sign into website UI. Is there a command to restart that service?

Not sure how, but it cleared and I can now sign in. For future reference, a VM backup failure shouldn’t crash a server.

This can be closed.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!