docker: failed to register layer: ApplyLayer exit status 1 stdout: stderr: unlinkat /var/log/apt: invalid argument.

Hey,
I had the same issue today - My fix work as well!
Switch back to VFS storage:
https://docs.docker.com/storage/storagedriver/vfs-driver/

Stop docker service
Bash:
systemctl stop docker

Create or edit docker daemon config
Bash:
nano /etc/docker/daemon.json

Add storage-driver:
JSON:
{
  "storage-driver": "vfs"
}

And start docker
Bash:
systemctl start docker

Found after some troubleshooting and help with this post:
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/t...-update-has-really-messed-up-my-boxes.119933/
Thank you for posting this. Saved me a tonne of heartache

Hello,
Since I updated to Proxmox 7.3-4, I'm getting the following error when pulling some docker images, inside LXC containers.

What should I do? This worked fine before updating.

I have the same issue in a similiar situation and I like to give some additional information on my environment.
Non privileged Debian (Bookworm) LXC with Rootdisk on a ZFS drive. Latest docker, docker-compose and portainer running. Several Docker Container running without any issues.
I then created a stack for Paperless NGX and the first installation was fine, but I had some minor issues with files outside the container.
So I stopped the stack, deleted volumes, images and containers and made my changes to the stack. After Deploying the stack I had the same issue as reported in post1. Even stopping the LXC and restore it from a backup never let me deploying the stack again. Watchtower did update other dockerfiles fine, though.

I then set up a new LXC and this time the root-fs is on a thin-lvm (ext4, nvme drive). Docker, docker-compose, portainer, Debian-version are all identical to original LXC. Anyhow this time I have been able to create and deploy the stack without any issues.

Next step: Use Backup of original LXC (ZFS), restore to LVM and redeploy stack. There might be somesthing strange with docker and ZFS. I understand Posts #15 to #19 are pointing in that direction as well, allthough Docker says the issue is fixed.

Btw. I am on Proxmox 8.0.4, but obviously the ZFS has been setup under Proxmox 6.xxx.

I have the same issue in a similiar situation and I like to give some additional information on my environment.
Non privileged Debian (Bookworm) LXC with Rootdisk on a ZFS drive. Latest docker, docker-compose and portainer running. Several Docker Container running without any issues.
I then created a stack for Paperless NGX and the first installation was fine, but I had some minor issues with files outside the container.
So I stopped the stack, deleted volumes, images and containers and made my changes to the stack. After Deploying the stack I had the same issue as reported in post1. Even stopping the LXC and restore it from a backup never let me deploying the stack again. Watchtower did update other dockerfiles fine, though.

I then set up a new LXC and this time the root-fs is on a thin-lvm (ext4, nvme drive). Docker, docker-compose, portainer, Debian-version are all identical to original LXC. Anyhow this time I have been able to create and deploy the stack without any issues.

Next step: Use Backup of original LXC (ZFS), restore to LVM and redeploy stack. There might be somesthing strange with docker and ZFS. I understand Posts #15 to #19 are pointing in that direction as well, allthough Docker says the issue is fixed.

Btw. I am on Proxmox 8.0.4, but obviously the ZFS has been setup under Proxmox 6.xxx.
I now backed up the whole lxc (root-fs located on ZFS) and restored it to local-lvm (which is ext4). Now the stack deployed nicely, the system is up and running. So still there might be an issue with Docker overlay-fs on ZFS. At least for me that fixed the issue reported in #1:
docker: failed to register layer: ApplyLayer exit status 1 stdout: stderr: unlinkat /var/log/apt: invalid argument.
See 'docker run --help'.

Last edited:
I was able to fix this by using the enabling the container features 'keyctl', 'Nesting', and 'FUSE' under the options tab. Then running

apt install -y fuse-overlayfs ln -s /usr/bin/fuse-overlayfs /usr/local/bin/fuse-overlayfs

I was able to fix this by using the enabling the container features 'keyctl', 'Nesting', and 'FUSE' under the options tab. Then running

apt install -y fuse-overlayfs ln -s /usr/bin/fuse-overlayfs /usr/local/bin/fuse-overlayfs
Yea, so that’s already been suggested here in a few different posts. I think people want ZFS to work with overlay2, but currently there are still some features missing from ZFS that would make this 100% possible, that’s why some images fail to pull. FUSE is just a band-aid.

Reactions: unreal1
I think this is supposed to work now, interestingly enough I still get some complaints about unsupported configs if I use Overlay2, it doesn't SEEM to cause issues, just makes me curious as to why it's still throwing errors.

I've upgraded with the new zfs version, yet I'm still getting the error in unprivileged container.

Code:
failed to register layer: unlinkat /usr/lib/locale/C.UTF-8/LC_MESSAGES: invalid argument

This is trying to install Frigate with the following compose.yml file:

Code:
version: "3.9"
services:
  frigate:
    container_name: frigate
    privileged: false # this may not be necessary for all setups
    restart: unless-stopped
    image: ghcr.io/blakeblackshear/frigate:stable
    shm_size: "2048mb" # update for your cameras based on calculation above
    devices:
      - /dev/apex_0:/dev/apex_0 # passes a PCIe Coral, follow driver instructions here https://coral.ai/docs/m2/get-started/#2a-on-linux
      - /dev/apex_1:/dev/apex_1
    deploy:
      resources:
        reservations:
          devices:
            - driver: nvidia
              count: 1 # number of GPUs
              capabilities: [gpu]
    volumes:
      - /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro
      - /opt/appdata/frigate/config:/config
      - /mnt/nvr/frigate:/media/frigate
      - type: tmpfs # Optional: 1GB of memory, reduces SSD/SD Card wear
        target: /tmp/cache
        tmpfs:
          size: 2000000000
    ports:
      - "5000:5000"
      - "8554:8554" # RTSP feeds
      - "8555:8555/tcp" # WebRTC over tcp
      - "8555:8555/udp" # WebRTC over udp
    environment:
      FRIGATE_RTSP_PASSWORD: "password"

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!