Debian 12 LXC Image problem

lps90

May 21, 2020
Hi

System: Proxmox 7.4 (latest version)
LXC Image: http://download.proxmox.com/images/system/debian-12-standard_12.0-1_amd64.tar.zst
Problem description: if we edit the ssh port in /etc/ssh/sshd_config, to for example port 12000,
ssh continues to use the default 22 port (ofc i did restarted the service after editing the config).
This image seems to have some kind of problem related with ssh.

I tried for example: https://images.linuxcontainers.org/images/debian/bookworm/amd64/
All images usually work with no problems, this one can not be mounted in Proxmox in case i add an ip address and gateway.
Log:
Code:
Detected container architecture: amd64
unable to open file '/etc/network/interfaces.tmp.3485642' - No such file or directory
  Logical volume "vm-200-disk-0" successfully removed
TASK ERROR: unable to create CT 200 - error in setup task PVE::LXC::Setup::post_create_hook

Someone can recommend better lxc images with no problems?

P.S. I've no problems with other images (Ubuntu 20/22, Debian 10/11...)

Last edited:
Please don't push threads without adding additional information.
I do not have additional info to add.
if I don't, it will eventually be forgotten.
66 views and no one said anything.
Since you have time to comment, do you have time to check it or suggest a solution?

I do not have additional info to add.
if I don't, it will eventually be forgotten.
66 views and no one said anything.
Since you have time to comment, do you have time to check it or suggest a solution?
Yes, people read through posts that got recently written. They will write an answer if they can contribute something to a solution. With 66 views and no answer no one could help so far and pushing the thread is just annoying. Then you force people to waste their time reading the same thread again and again. If I can't give you an answer when reading it the first time, I will also not answer the second or third time. I would prefer to spend my time reading new content where I could actually help people.

I've got no experience with Debian 12 LXCs so far as I won't use them for at least a couple of months. Debian 11 is still maintained for the coming 1 to 3 years and runs rock solid, so I don't see the point of updating to an immature Debian 12, if I don't need those new features. I will probably only start using it when Debian 12.3 or 12.4 will be released.
I guess most people won't have much experience with Debian 12 LXC, as this is only available for a few days. Probably the PVE staff know best about it, as they probably tested it before releasing it, but it's not a workday, so they will probably not read your thread, no matter how often you push it up.

Last edited:
"Then you force people to waste their time reading the same thread again and again. If I can't give you an answer when reading it the first time, I will also not answer the second or third time"
If you read with attention the first time, you will not need to read it anymore because you already did it before ;)

"so I don't see the point of updating to an immature Debian 12"
Tell that to Proxmox developers.

"I will probably only start using it when Debian 12.3 or 12.4 will be released."
It makes perfect sense.

"Probably the PVE staff know best about it, as they probably tested it before releasing it"
yeah, "probably".

"so they will probably not read your thread, no matter how often you push it up."
I know, they're really busy.
My goal is that maybe some forum users can help.
Proxmox developers will probably ignore and do not update / fix the lxc image they published.

"Then you force people to waste their time reading the same thread again and again. If I can't give you an answer when reading it the first time, I will also not answer the second or third time"
If you read with attention the first time, you will not need to read it anymore because you already did it before ;)
I will skip your first post, but I still waste my time reading that useless second post. With your "up" you are basically just yelling "Ignore the other threads! I'm way more important!". That isn't a better manner than pushing to the front of the line. And who doesn't like those people ;)

"Ignore the other threads! I'm way more important!"
Your pov, not mine.
I'm just making sure someone can help and not trying to make life difficult for other post creators ;)

If you think you found a bug and want to be sure that someone is seeing it, your time would be better invested in submitting a new report in the bugtracker, instead of impatiently pushing threads. There someone of the staff has to review it sooner or later: bugzilla.proxmox.com

Reactions: lps90
Just in case someone still needs a fix here.
The image provided uses sshd socket activation. That uses a new service: ssh.socket
To change the configuration for that you need to edit /etc/systemd/system/ssh.socket.d/addresses.conf followed by

sudo systemctl daemon-reload sudo systemctl restart ssh

I did not test this myself but the following commands should restore the old behavior:

Code:
systemctl disable --now ssh.socket
rm -f /etc/systemd/system/ssh.service.d/00-socket.conf
rm -f /etc/systemd/system/ssh.socket.d/addresses.conf
systemctl daemon-reload
systemctl enable --now ssh.service

Reactions: lps90
Hi,

I have a similar problem with LXC templates Debian 11 and Debian 12 on ARM64. When I choose these templates I and before completing the container creation I get the message:

Code:
extracting archive '/var/lib/vz/template/cache/debian-bullseye-20231124_arm64.tar.xz'
Total bytes read: 344780800 (329MiB, 27MiB/s)
Detected container architecture: arm64
unable to open file '/etc/network/interfaces.tmp.145708' - No such file or directory
TASK ERROR: unable to create CT 103 - error in setup task PVE::LXC::Setup::post_create_hook

There's not /etc/systemd/system/ssh.socket.d/* files on my systems, nor on AMD or ARM.

I'm able to create Alpine 3.16 or 3.18 LXC with no problems.

Any idea?

Hi. Unofficial solution.

From this post, but slightly edited - https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/looking-for-rootfs-tar-xz.108821/post-564530

There is no file /etc/network/interfaces. rootfs from https://jenkins.linuxcontainers.org/job/image-debian/ use systemd-networkd as network settins manager.

1. To successfully create an image from https://jenkins.linuxcontainers.org/job/image-debian/, during the setup process, enable only one network card and choose 'Static ip' and leave the field empty. 'Gateway' field should be empty soon.
2. Start the container successfully.
3. Login to container and create directory - 'mkdir /etc/network'.
4. Edit file 'vim /etc/systemd/network/eth0.network' manually according to your needs.
5. Enable at startup - 'systemctl enable systemd-networkd'.

Each new network card eth* attached to this lxc-container should be added and configured also as /etc/systemd/network/eth*.network file with correct systemd-networkd syntax.

After such "modifications" I have running Debian-12.5 lxc container with running network.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!