barca1899

Sep 6, 2022
Hello

Before few days I was working on some project and I was able to connect with GUI on server. After few days I tuned on server and I see that it does not have IP address on interface eno1.

I tried same stuff as before few days, checked cables and ethernet ports and nothing is working.

Here are pictures of my current network configuration.

Attachments

• prva-min.jpg
    prva-min.jpg
    974.6 KB · Views: 192
  • druga-min.jpg
    druga-min.jpg
    732.6 KB · Views: 190
The IP address is on the bridge instead of the port, that is normal. What does ip r show? Is your router routing for subnet 192.168.100.0/24?

The IP address is on the bridge instead of the port, that is normal. What does ip r show? Is your router routing for subnet 192.168.100.0/24?
default via 192.168.100.1 dev vmbr0 proto kernel onlink
192.168.100.0/24 dev vmbr0 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.100.2

Newbie here, I don't know have to test if there is routing problems

I can't ping anything, and no other computer on network can ping me...

Before few days I got this ip address 192.168.3.59 on eno1 interface and etc/network/interfaces file is same as already posted one.

Attachments

• TRECA-min.jpg
    TRECA-min.jpg
    724.1 KB · Views: 82
Well, this obviously can't work. Eno1 is the underlying network port for vmbr0, but it's address is in a different subnet than vmbr0. So I assume your router is routing 192.168.3.0/24 and not 192.168.100.0/24.

I suggest to switch to dhcp on vmbr0 for once just to see what address it gets assigned. And then you choose an address statically in this particular subnet.

Well, this obviously can't work. Eno1 is the underlying network port for vmbr0, but it's address is in a different subnet than vmbr0. So I assume your router is routing 192.168.3.0/24 and not 192.168.100.0/24.

I suggest to switch to dhcp on vmbr0 for once just to see what address it gets assigned. And then you choose an address statically in this particular subnet.
So I need to set etc/network/interfaces iface vmbr0 inet dhcp?
I tried to do that and nothing changes

It's not possible to set vmbr0 to DHCP and receive an address in an inappropriate subnet. There is either a misconfiguration in your DHCP server or your router (which is most of the time the same device) and most probably your proxmox host.
Please do yourself a favor and read about basic ip networking techniques. A good hint, for example, is the subnet that your computer is on. Is this an address in 192.168.3.0/24 or 192.168.100.0/24?

It's not possible to set vmbr0 to DHCP and receive an address in an inappropriate subnet. There is either a misconfiguration in your DHCP server or your router (which is most of the time the same device) and most probably your proxmox host.
Please do yourself a favor and read about basic ip networking techniques. A good hint, for example, is the subnet that your computer is on. Is this an address in 192.168.3.0/24 or 192.168.100.0/24?
It is 192.168.3.21/24

Network is protected by IT guys, I talked to them and they have given me one address... They say it should work.

Then why did you enter 192.168.100.2 in the interfaces file? It has to be the address that IT gave you.
As mentioned, eno1 doesn't get an address itself in that scenario, only vmbr0.

I didn't enter it, it was default...
But still it was working last time with configuration that I posted.

I will try this in the morning.
Thanks

Then why did you enter 192.168.100.2 in the interfaces file? It has to be the address that IT gave you.
As mentioned, eno1 doesn't get an address itself in that scenario, only vmbr0.
Hello, I tried editing etc/network/interfaces like you said and it is working now. Thanks

But I am not able to ping or get ip address on VM...I guess it is part of different problem

Last edited:
Reactions: ph0x
Hi, well i had the same issue, but when i figured out what the problem was i had to slap my head and say ...
ANYWAYS, might be a good tip when you install proxmox, do the install with a network cable plugged in the device you're installing it to.
When i installed it without a network cable plugged in i used the suggested default 192.168.100.2 i think it was ... and ofcourse could not find it on my other pc because its not in the same range 192.168.0.
So i reinstalled it with the CABLE connected and it assigned the correct ip for my network to find and voila ...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!