Add physical hard drive read/write permission to a VM

ArchStud

Jun 15, 2016
Hi,

I recently used ESXi, and had set up two VM's. One for Ubuntu Server 16 and one for a NAS program I have been using for a few years, called NASLite-M2 x64.

Previously I had only used my server as a NASLite box exclusively, and the hard disks have data on them I do not want to lose or format. I would like to be able to access the hard disks in Proxmox through the NASLite VM. In ESXi I was able to map the hard drives as RAW as vmdk files, and see them in the NASLite VM, as well as across my network (NASLite pushes files to almost every know device and format on a network). The only issue was that I was not able to write to them due to a permissions issue with ESXi :(

I would like to know if what I am proposing is possible in Proxmox? To add physical hard drives and have them exclusively accessible with read and write permissions for the NASLite VM with out losing the data already on them?

I have a Supermicro X7DBE with 2 Intel Xeon L5420's, 12GB ECC RAM and, 4 2TB WD Red hard drives, and an LSI MegaRaid 150 6-port Sata card (so I can do physical or software RAID).

Thank you, and I look forward to any and all help.

I have one issue that I can not quite figure out. I can not Write to the disk I added with one of my VM's. That VM is an OS called NASLite-M2 x64.

Here is the funny thing. I have gone in to NASLite and set up the proper parameters and permissions for RW for the hard drives, but I am unable to write to them. I am attempting to write to them from outside the VM using FTP or AFP, as NASLite was designed to be a very lightweight NAS OS.

Is it because I am trying to write files to the VM from outside of the VM that I am having an issue? Is there a way to allow files to be written from outside via FTP, or is that impossible in a VM?

When it comes to another OS on another VM, I have no issues writing files that I created on that VM and then adding them to the hard disk that I added using the same qm set -ide# /dev/sdb command. Is this because this is within the VM instead of being from outside?

Well, I did some testing and was able to set up a Ubuntu server that had the drive added and allowed me to FTP in to that drive, as well as SMB and allowed read and write. I think I figured out the issue.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!