1 Transcend 128GB SSD + 1 4TB Ironwolf HDD = Good idea?

emmanuel

Dec 5, 2017
So my purple western digital 2TB hard drive decided to die last week good thing I was able to still recover the data because I converted the thin volume(1.7TB of it) as an ext4 partition where I can store all my files, and the root fs took only less than 100GB where the boot partition resides . As it died suddenly I was still able to sift through the files in the partition mounting it on a live linux mint OS, then had to fsck it after a time where it wouldn't mount saying that the superblock was not recognized.

So I wanna ask the community as per my title, I run 5 containers(CentOS and Ubuntu) and 1 KVM(Windows 7) which miraculously I was also able to pull out all the backups on the root partition after deleting all the backups on my PC because I did not know this would happen. So is this a good idea? The proxmox OS will reside on the SSD and I am also thinking that the disks will reside on the ironwolf HDD as it is designed for 24/7 operation. I run a file server, a DNS server, observium, an ftp server where one of our cameras will always write on per minute(jpeg image only, no video files) and a windows 7 operating system.

This is a personal home setup only, so I don't think I need to do RAID or anything, besides the fact the motherboard only has 2 SATA ports, extending my storage to SATA3 to USB 3 adapters and have a cronjob just do its thing mounting it on reboot.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!