Proxmox Backup Server (beta)

If you wanto make sure that the backups arent compromised, make another folder/disks/etc on backup host,and copy the backup files there regularly.

can Proxmox Backup server is able to backup Proxmox VE individually or along VMS on it ?? also what is best approch to update proxmox VE , i mean how to backup proxmox VE before updating it to new release , in case something bad happen during upgrade.

can Proxmox Backup server is able to backup Proxmox VE individually or along VMS on it ?? also what is best approch to update proxmox VE , i mean how to backup proxmox VE before updating it to new release , in case something bad happen during upgrade.

Looking at the roadmap, they intend to include this function in the future. (https://pbs.proxmox.com/wiki/index.php/Roadmap)

In my home lab, this command worked to back up the Proxmox Host
Code:
proxmox-backup-client backup proxmoxRoot.pxar:/ --include-dev /etc/pve --verbose --repository root@pam@192.168.X.X:DatastoreLocal

To restore I set up this script, I believe it can be much improved
Bash:
# Variaveis

snap="host/pveb2/2020-07-29T17:24:14Z"
usuariopbs="root@pam"
ippbs="192.168.X.X"
datastorepbs="DataStoreLocal"

# Parar serviços
echo "------------ Parando serviços ------------------------"
for i in pve-cluster pvedaemon vz qemu-server; do systemctl stop $i ; done

# Exibindo backups
echo "----------- Exibindo backups --------------"
proxmox-backup-client snapshots --repository $usuariopbs@$ippbs:$datastorepbs
echo "Enter para continuar..."
read

# Restaurando ETC
echo "----------------- Restaurando Etc --------------"
proxmox-backup-client restore $snap proxmoxEtc.pxar /restaurar/etc --repository $usuariopbs@$ippbs:$datastorepbs
echo ".. ETC Restaurado. Enter p/ continuar"
read

# Restaurando Lib
echo "----------------- Restaurando Lib -----------------"
proxmox-backup-client restore $snap proxmoxLib.pxar /restaurar/pve-cluster --repository $usuariopbs@$ippbs:$datastorepbs
echo ".. LIB Restaurado. Enter p/ continuar"
read

# Restaurando Root
echo "----------------- Restaurando Root -----------------"
proxmox-backup-client restore $snap proxmoxRoot.pxar /restaurar/root --repository $usuariopbs@$ippbs:$datastorepbs
echo ".. ROOT Restaurado. Enter p/ continuar"
read

# Copiando arquivos
echo "----------------- Copiando arquivos -----------------"
cp -avr /restaurar/etc /
echo "ETC copiado. Enter p/ continuar"
read

cp -avr /restaurar/root /
echo "ROOT copiado. Enter p/ continuar"
read

cp -avr /restaurar/pve-cluster /var/lib/
echo "pve-cluster copiado. Enter p/ continuar"
read

echo "------------ Iniciando serviços ------------------------"
for i in pve-cluster pvedaemon vz qemu-server; do systemctl start $i ; done
echo "Enter para continuar"
read

# Iniciar o cluster
echo "Fazendo alteração para iniciar o cluster não vazio"
mv /etc/pve /etc/pve.bak
systemctl restart pve-cluster
echo "Finalizado.... Enter para fechar"
read

echo "----------------- FIM -----------------"
I based it on the script: https://github.com/DerDanilo/proxmox-stuff/

in my tests, it worked

Imaginate, we have about 10 single PVE hosts with +300vms/cts, and remote internet hosts. In each PVE we have backup job shedule for vm and ct. In remote hosts we have cron jobs for backup (like db backup or user files, not all host). Its extremely hard to syncronyze all this backups, so that not owerload network or disk system. Is it possible to initialize backup job from PBS server, not from client? The idea is to create unified backup schedule for pve hosts and remote clients. Like as PVE backup processes, next host dont starts backup until previos ends. Can we expect this in PBS?

Is it possible to initialize backup job from PBS server, not from client?

No. The backup server has no access to clients or knowledge about where the are - that's a feature and won't change.

Allowing one to configure that after a certain amount of currently active, incoming, jobs new clients need to wait until another finishes can be done without giving the server access to the client.

Having a schedule over multiple clients could also just get polled from the clients, so also if such a thing would be added we do not need to give the backup server full blown read access to all clients.

Both features aren't yet on any roadmap, but we will certainly consider them.

HI,

For me Tuxis PBS crashed/was not available since yesterday 21:00 GMT +2
Again I had to restart pvestatd. I also had to kill all '/usr/bin/proxmox-backup-client status ' processes on one node

Glad to see that Tuxis PBS was upgraded to v0.9 (what's new for 0.9 ?)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!