Proxmox Backup Server (beta)

Libssl seems to be a problem, also libc - here the output from CentOS 7:

Code:
# ldd proxmox-backup-client pxar | grep -e 'not' -e : 
proxmox-backup-client: .
/proxmox-backup-client: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.25' not found (required by ./proxmox-backup-client) 
./proxmox-backup-client: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.18' not found (required by ./proxmox-backup-client)        
libssl.so.1.1 => not found        
libcrypto.so.1.1 => not found 

pxar: 
./pxar: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.18' not found (required by ./pxar)        
libssl.so.1.1 => not found       
 libcrypto.so.1.1 => not found

CentOS 7, which is widely used, comes with glibc 2.17 and openssl 1.0.2k.

Hi friends,

thats great to have the Backup Server, with such an amazing features.

Something that is not clear for me, the VM backup is also incremental?

thanks

Hi,
I have the next important question. Is there an option to queue tasks but at the client-side? Or maybe there is an option to commit tasks to the PBS pool, and then let them be done in turn by PBS server? It is about queuing different processes to write to different repos or setting all in a FIFO. The main problem is with the NAS efficiency and possibility to "kill it" by high load while backing up process.
Ultimately, I would like for anyone who has bought from us a backup service to have their own repo and own NFS share. I'm a hosting provider and my services include backup also. That's why I'm asking about that.

"
Q: How does this integrate into Proxmox VE?
A: Just add your Proxmox Backup Server storage as new storage backup target to your Proxmox VE. Make sure that you have at least pve-manager 6.2-9 installed."

How do I get to 6.2-9? I just installed a fresh ISO and it only goes to 6.2-4?

Should be in the no-subscription repository.

I thought so too, but it completes the update and says nothing to do! haha ...
I'm using these as my repo:

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian buster main contrib
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian buster-updates main contrib

# PVE pve-no-subscription repository provided by proxmox.com,
# NOT recommended for production use
deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve buster pve-no-subscription

# security updates
deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates main contrib

Thoughts?

This is awesome Proxmox Team!!!
I have downloaded the ISO, installed it in a VM and tried to just setup things without deep diving in the docs, and I must say, this is a really simple and smooth experience. (Proxmox just spoils people by making easy-to-understand web GUIs) :) :) :)

That said,
I have been trying to search the forums to see how I can backup my VMs running on PVE 6.2-10 onto PBS 0.8.6 as a PXAR file.

I was able to do a simple .zstd backup very easily, though was unable to quickly figure out how to save the VM as a PXAR file.
Any tips? Anything obvious I am missing? I am going through the docs as I am posting this!

This is awesome Proxmox Team!!!
I have downloaded the ISO, installed it in a VM and tried to just setup things without deep diving in the docs, and I must say, this is a really simple and smooth experience. (Proxmox just spoils people by making easy-to-understand web GUIs) :) :) :)

That said,
I have been trying to search the forums to see how I can backup my VMs running on PVE 6.2-10 onto PBS 0.8.6 as a PXAR file.

I was able to do a simple .zstd backup very easily, though was unable to quickly figure out how to save the VM as a PXAR file.
Any tips? Anything obvious I am missing? I am going through the docs as I am posting this!

A good intro on youtube, https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/proxmox-backup-server-on-youtube-electronicswizardry.72981/

Reactions: shantanu
Very nice!!

I installed it on top of my existing backup NFS server. Simple tests with incremental backups of one VM looks very good!
Thank you for this beta!

Waaaaiittt a minute ... this is awesome!!!

The fact that it is incremental backup *automatically* was not obvious to me!
After I backed up my test VM the second time, it became obvious ... at the end of the backup ....

INFO: backup was done incrementally, reused 127.23 GiB (99%) INFO: transferred 128.00 GiB in 392 seconds (334.4 MiB/s)

Wowza!!!

I assume I cannot get PXAR files for the VMs themselves, and they can be done via the cmdline client only

" The Backup Server should be in the same datacenter as your Proxmox VE hosts."
Is this something that will be changed in the the future perhaps? We don't have our backups in the same datacenter but do have a stable VPN tunnel between the two datacenters.

Could I also backup servers/systems on off-side locations to the proxmox backup environment?

Could I also backup servers/systems on off-side locations to the proxmox backup environment?

Yes, that works. It's recommended to have the Backup Server local, as network bandwidth and stability is normally best in local networks (can only get worse, or at best stay the same, the more networks one traverses), and in most setups it makes sense to have at least one copy of all backups available directly, even if the network access to the outside is cut off (temporarily).

The initial sync can be naturally a bit costly, but if after that the delta changes are rather small it should work out OK.

The protocol is normally quite friendly for firewalls, as it needs only TCP port 8007 to do everything.
Also, the whole traffic is always encrypted over TLS, so even without an additional secure tunnel it would be safe to send through a public network.

Last edited:
Yes, that works. It's recommended to have the Backup Server local, as network bandwidth and stabillity is normally best in local networks (can only get worse, or at best stay the same, the more networks one traverses), and in most setups it makes sense to have at least one copy of all backups available directly, even if the network access to the outside is cut off (temporarily).

The initial sync can be naturally a bit costly, but if after that the delta changes are rather small it should work out OK.

The protcol is normally quite friendly for Firwalls, as it needs only TCP port 8007 to do everything.
Also, the whole traffic is always encrypted over TLS, so even without an additional secure tunnel it would be safe to send through a public network.
Awesome! Is there any expected date when it's considered stable and out of BETA or is it to early to ask this question? :)

Reactions: AlexanderR
Awesome! Is there any expected date when it's considered stable and out of BETA or is it to early to ask this question? :)

As soon as all critical bugs and issues are addressed and fixed, as always.

Reactions: shantanu

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!