Proxmox Backup Server (beta)

Hi, I just wanted to chime in that I think this is a great development, and something I've been looking for.

I think there may be a market for a paid service for smaller installations, such as myself.

As you datastore is named "backup" not "datatstore" :)

I already did some testing with different datastores, I apparently copied the wrong command.
Everything works like a charm after updating to 0.8.6 client.

Testing every possible configuration as we speak, I'm very impressed with the possibilities so far.
No issues regarding the backup software but I do have 2 feature requests:
- add a show configuration button for virtual machines like on the pve gui.
- add the possibility to restore a single file from the client

Reactions: t.lamprecht
- add the possibility to restore a single file from the client

For all file-based backups (like CT and Host based) this is already possible (see the file explorer in the PBS webinterface).
For VMs something like this is planned, but it's more complex there.

Screenshot_2020-07-10 Proxmox Backup Server.png

add a show configuration button for virtual machines like on the pve gui.
FYI: you can download that and the backup log already too.
Screenshot_2020-07-10 Proxmox Backup Server(1).png

so this is a additional backup to zfs replication, but the better way than the recent backup, correct?

Yes, ZFS replication and this are two completely different things Maybe just check out the main features to get an idea :)

Congratulations guys, this was the only thing I missed on proxmox and that I tried to tackle with different approaches, some more effective than others. This will probably be the feature that will allow me to push a few customers to subscribe and get some well deserved money your way.

I think this is block-level/whole machine backup? Are there going to be file level backup clients as well?

I think this is block-level/whole machine backup? Are there going to be file level backup clients as well?

It can do both already. File-based is currently restricted to Linux mountable/accessible filesystems.

Clarifying: For the current PVE integration it uses file level backup for Container and block level ones for VMs.
But, you could naturally use the client binary inside a VM (or any Linux x64 host) to make a file level backup from "the inside".

Reactions: ebiss
Ok, I'm just trying to understand where the product is going. I'd love to have a clean open source backup solution that can do whole machine block level backups, and incremental file backup, with revision history, from my physical machines (end user). These are a variety of linux, mac, and windows.
Is this the ambition for pbs?

Dear Proxmox Team,

huge thanks for your efforts! Having incremental kvm backups is a real gamechanger.

One question: is it possible to use the gui with encryption at this point? I created a backup key for each host but it seems like a gui option is missing for now, probabbly comming in the near future?

Regards

Is this the ambition for pbs?

Yeah, this'd should work - naturally some details may depend - e.g., file based backup is currently only available for Linux based filesystems/hosts - but other are on the wishlist. Maybe get a VM up with Proxmox Backup Server and evaluate it a bit to get a feeling.

One question: is it possible to use the gui with encryption at this point? I created a backup key for each host but it seems like a gui option is missing for now, probabbly comming in the near future?

Containers should already work, at least if configured for the storage (i.e., the encryption key is available /etc/pve/priv/storage/<storeid>.enc). There where some recent qemu-server improvements as well - but only available on pvetest IIRC.

Anyway, yes, this is definitively something where we still plan and want to improve the integration into Proxmox VE, making it less subtle and providing a better user experience.

You can use a network storage as a backing path for a Backup Datastore - but we recommend local storage; it's normally just faster and you do not have an extra remote component which could fail.

You can't add NFS remotes through the UI at the moment though?
I have 10gbE to my storage from my virtual environment (where backup server is currently installed) so I'd like to add that as a destination. It's where virtual disks would be anyway!

Is it possible that in the future pve or parts of it will be rewritten in rust? I am guessing that rust code from pbs could be resused for pve. Especially web interface related things.

You can't add NFS remotes through the UI at the moment though?
Just mount it in /etc/fstab then add a path on the moutnpoint as datastore?

I have 10gbE to my storage from my virtual environment (where backup server is currently installed) so I'd like to add that as a destination. It's where virtual disks would be anyway!

Do I understand rhat correctly, the disks are where the backups are?
If they are there anyway you just send their content (or parts of that due to the incremental backup) twice over the network...

Is it possible that in the future pve or parts of it will be rewritten in rust? I am guessing that rust code from pbs could be resused for pve. Especially web interface related things.
Yes, some parts like the pve-lxc-syscall interceptor daemon are already written in rust. The webinterface is in ExtJS though, shares already a lot of the codebase.

Just mount it in /etc/fstab then add a path on the moutnpoint as datastore?

Yes of course, but just confirming that I am not missing something

Do I understand rhat correctly, the disks are where the backups are?
If they are there anyway you just send their content (or parts of that due to the incremental backup) twice over the network...

I would be targeting a different SAN than where virtual machine disks are - and of course a backup is about giving you history as well. I'm also curious if I can use a single solution for some file based backups as well (appreciate you only have linux clients today)

Great job!

Question: Especially interesting for the SME market. Are you going to provide Google Drives or MS OneDrive as a destination?

It would be nice if the base functions of your GUI are the same at any Product. After installing PBS, i looked for AD Integration, but i'm unable to find it. Same at the supported Storages, CephFS or CEPH RBD isnt available. CEPH (RBD / CephFS) is the perfect Backupstorage, it scales unlimited, it doesnt fragment (like ZFS) and can be used to store some other files like template or ISO Images.

I don't know where you see your product, but I see it as a Veeam alternative, and Veeam can also backup to external storages.

So it would be really great if you implement the same functions from Proxmox VE in Proxmox BS.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!