Building ProxMox on Devuan

rhY

Dec 6, 2019
Your Mom's House
openairships.com
Hey all! Long time ProxMox fan, have used it to great success in many scenarios.

I'm very interested in migrating all of my backend servers and services to Devuan as it is far more stable and easy to manage than Debian. I know I'm going off the reservation here, but is it possible to build ProxMox (even an older version) on Devuan? Would I just follow the Wheezy instructions? Which version would I be eventually be installing? Are there still security updates to the older versions?

Thanks in advance,
Rhy

Using old software is almost always a bad idea! Besides, I think that Debian is much more stable than Devuan and easier to handle (thanks to systemd).

Reactions: danielb
You have not done much side by side comparison between Devuan and Debian, clearly.

The stability is so much greater in Devuan it's not even funny. Not to mention efficiency, easier to manage code, faster boot times, cron support, and several other industry standard solutions that are totally broken from Debian 8 forward. I strongly suggest you run some tests of your own between Devuan and Debian and see for yourself. You can't argue with the 5-10% CPU gains, 15-20% memory gains, and several seconds of boot time speed that Devuan has over Debian at this point.

Debian has gotten more and more bloated, as you'd expect using giant, poorly-understood monolithic corporate garbage such as systemD. Run the tests. Load a giant mail server on Debian, and then Devuan, and run some scripts that abuse the heck out of it. Debian will die way sooner than Devuan.

On most of the servers I manage i was staying with Debian 7 as long as possible, and only much later started migrating them to Devuan. So far I've had near 100% success rate, which I certainly did not on any of the services and containers I was trying on Debian 8. I haven't even bothered with Debian 9 or 10, because the Debian 8 experience was so pathetic. Maybe it's gotten better?

At any rate, you should definitely look at Devuan very closely. Your statements above were not only false, but almost exactly the opposite of reality. I would love to see the evidence for what you said, if you have any.

At any rate, you should definitely look at Devuan very closely. Your statements above were not only false, but almost exactly the opposite of reality. I would love to see the evidence for what you said, if you have any.

Seems you really believe that. But as said above, we need many features from systemd, so Devuan is no option.

You have not done much side by side comparison between Devuan and Debian, clearly.

You talked about building an old Proxmox Wheezy version on Devuan - this is old software with known bugs and you will put users to risk. This is a really bad idea. Current Proxmox version heavily depends on systemd, so you cannot build this with Devuan.

I do not want a basic discussion about Devuan here, this is the Proxmox VE support forum only.

OK, well I'll give it a go and see how ProxMox 3 runs on it. Thanks for the civil conversation. It's appreciated. Is there a list of known vulnerabilities for ProxMox 3 so I can patch them, or fix them myself?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!