ZFS Raid1 (2x 'cheapo' SSD) - additional single drive for backups?

jaceqp

May 28, 2018
Hi there.
I'm doing some maintenance on a desktop based 'server' used as SQL database host for ca 5 LAN users.
It was running bios-software RAID1 on 2x Samsung EVO 250GB SATA SSD's. I know that those are NOT server grade but what can you do :/ 3rd drive is a regular 3,5" 1TB SATA for backups etc.

Now, after a clean install Proxmox with ZFS RAID1 on SSD's I'm thinking of using additional hard drive for VM backups. Not sure how though.
I created a new ZFS pool with SATA drive attached, then added ZFS storage but only content I can set is Disk image and/or Container. It seems that I can't use this type 'mounting' and use it for vzdump-type vm backup. Shall I set this disk lets say in EXT4 instead in order to use proxmox based vm backups?

Obviously ZFS has some fancy stuff but I might need to extract VM (or Virtual Disks) backups to lets say samba share or usb drive.

BTW. If having two ZFS pools like above: SSD (RAID1) plus storage_1TB can I somehow perform backups one to another on a ZFS level?

Hi,

It seems that I can't use this type 'mounting' and use it for vzdump-type vm backup. Shall I set this disk lets say in EXT4 instead in order to use proxmox based vm backups?
if you use the ZFSPool plugin only KVM and LXC are possible.
You have to use dir plugin when you like Backups.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!