waxy

Jul 3, 2024
I have a fresh install of proxmox ve 8.2 and after I have set everything up I logged into the machine using my web browser, went straight to creating a VM. After my VM was created I logged into it and suddenly I lost connection to my server. I thought it might of been an error in my network configuration but it wasn't. Apparently I one of my RAM sticks was faulty and wouldn't let the system boot. Anyways I replaced that stick and now when I try to log into the machine I get a "Login incorrect" message even though I'm 100% sure about my password. Please help me and thanks in advance.

Bad RAM means you maybe now got corrupted data on disk. Wouldn't be the first time reading here that the /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow corrupted preventing logging in.

Ahhh. There's a bunch of different ways to get into a system where you've locked yourself out. The common theme of them is booting up an environment where you have enough power/control to change the locked-out system.

Probably the easiest way to try first is booting Proxmox but using init=/bin/bash on the kernel boot line. The init bit tells the kernel to us /bin/bash as the program to run after loading the kernel instead of doing a standard boot.

What that does is drop you into a root user bash shell with the root filesystem mounted. After changing the filesystem to be read-write, you can then proceed with trying to reset the password of the root user (ie passwd root) then force a reboot (reboot -f). Hopefully the system will come back up ok then.

That being said, it's an awful lot of mucking around for a freshly installed Proxmox system, and there's no telling what else the bad ram may have corrupted. You're probably better off just reinstalling Proxmox so the whole system is then in a "known good" state instead. :)

Thanks very much for the help. I ended up reinstalling it. I didn’t want to go through the hassle of fixing it since it is a fresh install.

Reactions: justinclift

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!