Windows VM fails to shutdown from Proxmox web

falves1

Jan 11, 2009
I can turn-off a Windows Server VM, but shutdown simply does not work. The agent is installed, so what is happening?
The VM is Windows Server 2019.

Any ideas?

Yes, and it does not work for Windows server 2016, 2019 and Windows 10
There are 3 items, neither of them exists. I created the first one, but it still does not shudown the VM. The issue is that if you have dozens of VMs, a user has to go one by one shutting them down manually to avoid crashing the OS or damaging an application. So this is critical. In Vmware, once you install the tools, this just works fine.
  • launch "regedit.exe" and set value of HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\winlogon and change "ShutdownWithoutLogon" to 1
  • go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\7516b95f-f776-4464-8c53-06167f40cc99\8EC4B3A5-6868-48c2-BE75-4F3044BE88A7 and set "Attributes" value to 2
  • then go to "Control Panel" --> "System and Security" --> "Power Options" and then --> "Change plan settings" on choosed power plan --> "Change Advanced Power Settings" --> "Display" and set 'Console lock display off timeout' to 0 to disable it

It does not work under any condition. If I type
qm shutdown XXX, it hangs forever and the VM stays on. It has the Agent installed, and the VM definition has the Agent set.
Any idea what am I missing?
This is a 2016 server.

I solved it, for the next person. On top of the qemu agent, you need to install the virtio-serial driver. It is found on the same ISO.

Yes, sure. Virtio-Serial is required for the QEMU agent to work properly. But glad that you figured it out.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!