VNC-Console - keyboard issue

udo

Distinguished Member
Apr 22, 2009
Ahrensburg; Germany
Hi,
first - it's looks very good!

I had an keyboard-issue with the vnc-console. If i type "/" i get no character. The strange thing is, that the install system use us-layout and my computer has german layout (in pve i use GUI language default english). The most other characters are right (z is z).

Next try: squezze-install. Select german settings (also keyboard), z is y in the console - no real problem (/ is here on shift-6), but with tab i can't select <ok>, because the VNC-Menue toggles with tab (Start, Stop and so on).

Is the keyboard of the vnc-console configurable?

Udo

Edit: if i switch my keyboard to us-mapping i can use the / - enough as workaround

Last edited:
works here, see screenshots. (I am sitting behind a win7 desktop with german/austria keyboard, using chrome browser)
datacenter-keyboard-settings.pngsqueeze-keyboard-settings.png

Hi Tom,
just checked with chromium (13.0.782.220 (Developer Build 99552 Linux) Built on Debian unstable, running on Debian wheezy/sid):

If i want to use the tab-key for command completion the menu-bar (Start) will selected - see screenshot tab.png

so you use a Debian Wheezy as your Desktop? Which java plugin do you run? I will need to setup such a box, as on my windows desktops 'tab' works.

Well, that sounds more like a browser bug (browser grabs tab event, so it gets not delivered to the java applet) - does it work with the console from 1.9?

so you use a Debian Wheezy as your Desktop? Which java plugin do you run? I will need to setup such a box, as on my windows desktops 'tab' works.
Hi Tom,
yes it's a aptosid-box - run fine.
I had following plugin:
Code:
ii  sun-java6-bin                                 6.26-3                            Sun Java(TM) Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 (architecture dependent files)
ii  sun-java6-jre                                 6.26-3                            Sun Java(TM) Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 (architecture independent files)
ii  sun-java6-plugin                              6.26-3                            Java(TM) Plug-in, Java SE 6
Udo

confirmed. its a client issue. It works fully if I connect via a windows desktop browser (Firefox, Chrome).

if I use a Debian Squeeze as desktop system, the pressing the 'tab' activates the menu bar (tested with Firefox and Chrome).

The other day I had installed Ubuntu 11.10 to test, we scrapped it as the function keys in terminal would always open the file menu for terminal .

that does not happen on any of the other 5 or so debian , mint or ubuntu systems we've got here.

so it could be something to do with sid or testing and not stable squeeze .

I am in the process of installing prox 2.0 and will use a Ubuntu 10.04 LTS client to test this issue.

similiar happened to me.

Using Gnome Terminal 2.30.2 ,
when I pressed the tab key , the cursor did not go to the next field. it stayed on the same field.

that was at the enter user password prompt in a Ubuntu install .

and after the kvm was installed, tabs are still an issue.

in the ubuntu 10.04 vnc , running firefox,

at the address bar when tab is pressed, the cursor stays on the address bar instead of moving to the next field [ which is the google search field].

confirmed. its a client issue. It works fully if I connect via a windows desktop browser (Firefox, Chrome).

if I use a Debian Squeeze as desktop system, the pressing the 'tab' activates the menu bar (tested with Firefox and Chrome).
Hi Tom,
but it's not only squeeze related - the same things happens on my test-laptop, which is an pve1.8 (not yet updated) with an lxde-desktop and iceweasel 3.5.5 (with sun 1.6.0_22).

Udo

yes, as far as I see its on all Linux desktops. On Windows desktops no problem.

Got the same problem here running Ubuntu 11.10 and Kubuntu 11.10. Also the character encoding is totally wrong in VNC console so it is very hard to use. And yes I have set the keyboard under datacenter-options- keyboard (have to use Finnish since there is no Swedish). Or maybe it just that the ALT GR does not work in the console as it should.

could you supply more information with the output of this from cli [ as the devs usually need it ].
Code:
pveversion -v

Yes, here is the output.

pveversion -v
pve-manager: 2.0-10 (pve-manager/2.0/7a10f3e6)
running kernel: 2.6.32-6-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 2.0-52
pve-kernel-2.6.32-6-pve: 2.6.32-52
lvm2: 2.02.86-1pve1
clvm: 2.02.86-1pve1
corosync-pve: 1.4.1-1
openais-pve: 1.1.4-1
libqb: 0.6.0-1
redhat-cluster-pve: 3.1.7-1
pve-cluster: 1.0-11
qemu-server: 2.0-6
pve-firmware: 1.0-13
libpve-common-perl: 1.0-8
libpve-access-control: 1.0-2
libpve-storage-perl: 2.0-6
vncterm: 1.0-2
vzctl: 3.0.29-3pve3
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.0.12-3
pve-qemu-kvm: 0.15.0-1
ksm-control-daemon: 1.1-1

there were some upgrades today, try those to see if the problem is resolved,

if not I suggest you start a new thread, as some data in this one is stale.

good luck!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!