VM disks stripping strategy

advark

Jun 7, 2024
Hi everyone,

Proxmox newbie here. I got a few questions regarding vm disk management.

Context:
The main usage for my PVE, in a home environment, is mainly to host a file server and a multimedia server (DNLA-like), plus a few other small VMs for testing and playing around. The PVE has the following disk setup:
  • 4x 1TB WD Red
    • 2TB ZFS-mirror for Proxmox
    • 2TB ZFS-mirror for ISO and VM config files
  • 4x 2TB WD Red
    • ZRAID1 (diskpool1: ± 6TB)
  • 4x 4TB WD Red
    • ZRAID1 (diskpool2: ± 12TB)
  • 4x 6TB WD Red
    • ZRAID1 (diskpool3: ± 18TB)
  • 4x 8TB WD Red
    • ZRAID1 (diskpool4: ± 24TB)
Each group of 4 disks is attached to a SAS controller using 1 channel (4 SAS lanes) per group. My initial idea was to use a whole diskpool for a server, e.g.diskpool3 for the file server and vmdisk4 for the multimedia server, using multiple smaller VM disks (like 2 or 4TB each) to make it easier to move it around if needs be; and the use a string raid of filesystem so the VM see it as 1 disk. I think this approach will make it easier to increase disk space in future and I don't see the need of redundancy inside the VM since the physical disks already use some king of redundancy. Critical data on the file server is rsync'ed to a NAS hourly and a daily offsite backup is in place.

Question 1:
I think my initial approach is wrong because if 2 disks of the underlying RAIDZ array fail (i.e. diskpool3) , the whole VM data is lost. What I'm thinking now, instead, is the use the same approach but spreading the VM disks throughout all disk pool. For example: vm-100-disk0 on diskpool1, vm-100-disk1 on diskpool2, etc. This way, if 1 physical disk fails in every diskpool, the VM should survive. Right?

Question 2:
Is redundancy needed inside the VM filesystem? I don't think so since the physical disks are already (somewhat) redundant.

Question 3:
What filesystem/technology should I be using for stripping (i.e. no redundancy) inside the VMs? Here's my thoughts:
  • ZFS does not like it when the disk is filled over 80-90%. Since each diskpool is build on ZFS I don't see the need to waste another 10-20% inside a VM. Am I wrong?
  • LVM can be cumbersome to manager for a newbie like me. Lots of command to learn (I know, google is your friend but...).
  • mdraid can do RAID-0 and is pretty easy to manage using mdadm or Webmin. I have used it in the for RAID-5 and RAID-10, but the performance is killing when it enters its check mode every month. I don't if that check mode exists in RAID-0. Anyone?
  • BTRFS is another option but I have not used it extensively and never in a stripe/RAID-like mode. I've read here and there that RAID-5 and 6 are not quite reliable as of now, so I have some concerns.
Are there other filesystem/technology that I'm missing?

Any suggestions/recommendations are welcome.
Thanks

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!