melroy89

Mar 25, 2023
Netherlands
melroy.org
Problem:
Currently, we're unable to get an overview in Proxmox about the virtual disk usage. You will only get the total disk size (200GB), on the VM overview page:

vm_summary.png

Even... when going to the storage location and click on "VM DIsks", it will only give me the total size:

vm_disks.png

Solution:

When I'm using the following terminal command on the host machine (thus on the Proxmox host):
Code:
lvs -a

This will give me the following output, INCLUDING the disk usage of the VM disks:

disk_usage.png

You could please add this percentage used value (50.33%) of the virtual disk to the VM overview?? After all... now you only show the total size (200GB).

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi,
for completeness: here is the relevant feature request to show disk usage from inside the guest and not just the total size of the boot-disk.

The information from the storage could also make sense to show (in the storage's image listing), but is not quite what you want usually, e.g. the Data% can be ~100% even if the guest has lots of free space if you didn't use discard.

My request is indeed use what we have now, which is lvs output for LVM storage. And for me the Data% is actually completely accurate since I'm using discard.

EDIT: lsblk -f, zfs list or similar commands (or APIs) can be used for non-LVM storage.

To my defense, the RAM usage you are showing on the same overview page is also not accurate, since even with ballooning enabled, the host OS will only claim back the memory when it's really needed. So the reported RAM usage is often incorrect, but better than nothing right? Now we have nothing regarding disk usage.

Both the ticket you posted to as well as this other ticket I found are describing the storage from inside the guest VM, which is also valid of course, but another feature request.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!