Very Serious Backup/Restore Issue in PVE 5.0

You mentioned that the backups were sent over NFS. What was the storage on that end?
All backups were stored to my FreeNAS machine. The ones which have worked correctly have been restored using this configuration as well. I have also tried copying the file to the Proxmox box to no avail. Am I just kind of out of luck for these VM's? It'd be really nice to be able to get them back.

Do you use ZFS with snapshots? Maybe look at a former snapshot to see if the problem is also in older files.
Unfortunately the original hosts were wiped, so all I have is the VZdump backup files

Might be worth checking, try running ip -s link on freenas and proxmox to check for network / nic errors.
If you have a spare desktop PC, you can put proxmox 5 on that and try another restore from NFS.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!