VDI/SPICE Integration w/ GPU Passthrough?

TheFunk

Oct 25, 2016
Hi all!

I know this question is a little out of the scope of what would be considered a normal feature request, but I'd be willing to put in the work to develop something to provide this functionality if someone here could provide a basic outline of where to start, or I'm willing to pay for a canned solution if one already exists.

I want a reliable, low overhead, VDI solution that I can use when doing graphics intensive work. I have several VMs with OVMF passed through NVIDIA GPUs capable of near native performance. I am currently under the impression that SPICE cannot be used as a VDI client in such a setup because the systems make use of the native NVIDIA drivers as opposed to the qxl paravirtualized drivers that SPICE likes. Am I making sense so far?

My temporary solution has been to leverage moonlight, an open source application that allows my thin clients to use hardware decoding for viewing a desktop, generated by the hardware encoder on my VM's GPU.

Does anyone know of an open source VDI or a proprietary solution that will function with KVM/Proxmox, that I can use for this sort of video performance with low system overhead on the server side?

Client features needed

-Secure remote login
-Modularity (eg multiple protocols supported for various functions)
-"Canned Solution" look and feel
-Client ability to run on Android or Linux

I'm working on developing my own VDI solution but it's slow going. Between teaching programming and working tech support I can't seem to find time to work on the lab. Basically, I still use Moonlight for my gaming vm because Moonlight runs on Android, it's reliable, it's high performance, and I have an NVIDIA GPU in my host and I'm using an NVIDIA SHIELD TV as my client device (the Tegra's Maxwell GPU wipes the floor with any other cheap client side GPU that you could use for decoding a video/audio stream).

For all of my other VMs I'm trying to get SPICE to work outside of the Proxmox webpages. I'm using Opaque right now on the SHIELD but can't seem to get it configured correctly. I've posted about it but may try to submit a support ticket at some point.

It didn't help that I had to go through the long process of converting my SHIELD to the "full Android" version to even be able to import my CA certificate. I hate Android TV.

All that said, I'm like a month away from having all these things running in conjunction with one another, and then I just want to create a fancy interface for it all in Android Studio.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!