[SOLVED] USB 3.2 ASM3142 Pass-through Windows 10 Requires Reboot to Initialize Ports

netsecnonsense

Feb 25, 2022
Hello Proxmox Forum, I originally posted this on the Proxmox subreddit but am re-posting here as well for visibility. Original post is here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Proxmox/co.../?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

I just bought an Inateck RedComets U25 USB 3.2 PCIe card to pass-through to guest VMs. This card uses the ASM3142 chip.

When I pass-through this whole PCIe device to Mac or Linux guests, it works as expected. If I use the device on the Proxmox host, it works as expected. However, with Windows 10 guests, only ports that were in use on boot are active in the guest.

For example, if I have a keyboard plugged into Port A on guest boot, I can use that device. If I unplug the keyboard and plug in a flash drive (or any other) device on Port A, that flash drive will get picked up by Windows. However, if I leave the keyboard plugged in to Port A and plug the flash drive into Port B, the flash drive will not be visible anywhere in Windows until I reboot the guest. Once rebooted with devices in Ports A and B, both Ports A and B will function correctly.

This is a very annoying issue as I regularly switch between Mac and Windows guests depending on the task at hand with a GPU pass-through that works perfectly (RX 6600 XT, no reset bug!). I always have a wireless keyboard/mouse combo plugged into one port but having to reboot the Windows guest every time I need to add a device like a flash drive is frustrating.

Has anyone had this experience?

Verified IOMMU isolated. This card is the only device in group 83. Passing through the whole device as
hostpci1: 0000:82:00,pcie=1
in Proxmox 7.1-10. This is exactly the same as my configs for the Mac and Linux guests.

Additionally, I have added the PCI ID that I got from
Bash:
root@lab:~# lspci -nnnk | grep 82:00
82:00.0 USB controller [0c03]: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM2142 USB 3.1 Host Controller [1b21:2142]
to my vfio.conf like I did with my GPU to make sure that the device doesn't get bound to the host.

As mentioned before, this issue of inactive ports only happens in Windows 10 (haven't tried 11) guests.

Has anyone had a similar issue with this device or with the ASM3142 chip? Any ideas on a fix? Or an alternative USB 3.2 card that does not experience this issue?

For now I'm just leaving 2 flash drives plugged into the other 2 USB Type-A ports on boot that I can later swap out with other devices as needed but I would love another solution that doesn't require leaving devices plugged in at all times.

Thanks for any and all help.

Turned out to be a driver issue. The default Microsoft XHCI driver was not behaving properly with this card. Found an ASMedia driver online that fixed the issue.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!