Unsupported video frequency while installation of PVE 7.2

mattb

May 27, 2022
Hi,
yesterday i tried to install PVE on a Dell PowerEdge R210.
Therefore i put the ISO on a bootable USB stick. After clicking "Install proxmox" on the first proxmox page the monitor became black and showed "unsupported mode".
The monitor was connected with VGA on the integrated graphic card. So i tried the same with two other monitors. But every monitor showed the same message.
According to the message the frequency of the video signal was 36 Hz.

In an older thread (https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/proxmox-3-4-out-of-range-at-install.21206/) such a problem already was discussed.
At that time the solution was to press the enter button even there was no image shown on the monitor.
I tried the same without any success.

I checked the BIOS settings if there were any configurations concerning the integrated graphic card.
But i only found a configuration to enable/disable it.

Finally i installed PVE 7.1 without any problems.

Does anybody know such a behaviour?

Best regards
mattb

Had the same troubles with HP DL380 and PBS 2.2.
Installed then PBS 2.1 and updated to 2.2.
Guess it's a problem of the 5.15 kernel and simplefb.

Had the same troubles with HP DL380 and PBS 2.2.
Installed then PBS 2.1 and updated to 2.2.
Guess it's a problem of the 5.15 kernel and simplefb.
Today i updated PVE to 7.2 without any problems.
In a few weeks I have to setup two other servers. Then I will try to install 7.2 on these other machines again directly.

Can confirm that that I ran into this same issue today. Dell R610, installing via bootable ISO USB and connected to display via onboard VGA port. After hitting "install proxmox" in the GUI installer, video output become unsupported by monitor.

Installing via 7.1 and upgrading was an applicable workaround.

Last edited:
Also can confirm on a Dell R710 and Supermicro Hyve. idrac and IPMI will show the correct monitor view though.

As announced i had to setup two other servers, one Dell PowerEdge R620 and one Dell PowerEdge R720.
On both machines the installation of Proxmox V7.2 worked fine without any problems.

But I need to mention that this time compared to the last time I setup proxmox another monitor was used.
So it could that this monitor is just more tolerant.

Last proxmox installer 7.2 has same issue with a HP dl380 G7. Tried several monitors brands and same problem of out of range video. But installing 7.1 first and then upgrading worked for me.

Having the same issue on a brand new Lenovo ThinkSystem server.
As soon as I go into the install, the video stops outputting.

I was able to use ipmi to finish the installs, but even after fully installing and then updating the system, it still failed to show any video once it fully booted up locally on the server.

edit - Following guidance of others here, I made installation media of 7.1-2 and it worked no issues.
There has got to be a driver or something missing from the latest version.

edit 2 - Upgraded and the video output stopped working locally on the machine again....

Last edited:
Same thing happening here on my Supermicro 116-7

Also seeing this. Not sure if it's related
4032-1816-max.jpg

Last edited:
I am seeing the same thing on my Dell R710 with the 7.2 ISO The other three servers I have were installed with 7.1 without issue and upgraded. FWIW I encountered the same issues with bare metal install of the Ubuntu Server 22.04 LTS release and it was resolved in the 22.04.1 LTS iso.

I am going to use the PVE 7.1 iso and upgrade from there...

Reactions: _gabriel
Same here, using a Dell R640

Had to resort to installing Proxmox using iDRAC, which worked.

Video port still didn't work after initial install and reboot.

Running "apt update" and then "apt dist-upgrade" installed updates which fixed the video issue after another reboot.

Probably still easier to just start with a Proxmox 7.1 installer and then do the same standard updates/upgrades.

Last edited:
Reactions: LnxBil

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!