Proxmox 3.4 "Out of Range" at install

lopsy

Feb 28, 2015
I'm currently running Proxmox 3.1 on my home server but I decided it was time for a fresh install so I downloaded the 3.4 iso installer, and so my problem begins. The second I boot into the usb I get an "Out of Range" error on my monitor. I've tried this with 2 different monitor, one an asus and the other an acer, both running at 1080x1920. I used the acer monitor when I installed 3.1 the first time and didn't have this issue, there's been no hardware changes at all, so I can only assume something that's changed in Proxmox is causing this.

I've looked around on this forum and browsing through google, but I've not been able to find anything useful unfortuantly. If anyone has any idea what could be causing this I'd really appreciate it.

Hi,

What GPU you are using?

The VGA connection cannot scale up that high.

I just found out last night when trying to install Proxmox 3.4 on my test machine.

As crazy as it sounds, as soon as your monitor jumps to "Unsupported Resolution" just hit enter on the keyboard and wait about 2 seconds. Should jump to a lower resolution and the rest of the install will run fine, for some reason that first splash screen has a tendency to throw my monitors into unsupported mode.

This issue is current for proxmox 5.0, as I'm using a monitor that has a max res of 1280x1024, and what I assume to be the grub menu for the USB stick is out of range or something like that. Hitting enter boots into the installer. Thanks for this!

As crazy as it sounds, as soon as your monitor jumps to "Unsupported Resolution" just hit enter on the keyboard and wait about 2 seconds. Should jump to a lower resolution and the rest of the install will run fine, for some reason that first splash screen has a tendency to throw my monitors into unsupported mode.

This issue seems to also exist in 7.2.1 iso installer. Consistently occurs across multiple "older" hardware setups, including for me a SuperMicro X9SCM-F motherboard with an Intel Xeon E31220 cpu, as well as a mostly stock Dell R710 with two Xeon X5680 cpus. I have tried with a physical 1600x900 monitor, as well as a USB crash cart adapter / KVM that accepts pretty much any signal. On the KVM interestingly, it very rapidly (many times a second) flashes through a few different messages about bad video mode / reset / power down etc. The workaround above about hitting enter once this happens is hit or miss. I am likely just off on the timing, sometimes it doesn't respond, sometimes the machine reboots immediately, sometimes it flashes like it's working but comes back up unsupported video mode, and every so often it will come up with the correct screen of the EULA.

The stage this happens at is after the initial GRUB splash screen, when you select Install (even the debug mode after continuing goes along this same path) it will drop to a terminal output at a seemingly different resolution, and make its way through until the font changes / loads and it immediately switches to the unsupported video mode / flashing error messages on the KVM video input.

So far this is the only OS that does this, I've installed various versions of Ubuntu, Debian, and a few of their derivatives. No idea what the cause is or if it's simply a dropping of support for legacy hardware that I got the short stick on.

Hello, I'm running into this on a Dell Poweredge R410. This is a dead stop for me, can't get past this. Tried various options, tried a bunch of monitors, nothing seems to work. He's just dead.

Same problem here. DL360 g7. Debian works fine. I tried the enter trick without any luck. Graphical and console have the same issue. Tried a 1024x768 monitor and a 1920x1080 monitor.

I am having the same problem on a Supermicro Server CSE-826 2x 6C Xeon E5-2620. Basically All our servers have a VGA output only.
This is still a standard!
Making a GUI Installer that runs out of VGA resolution possibilities seems like a bug to me. It would be nice to address this finally.
The fix with hitting enter is not working. I am trying to install the latest version 8.1. Thanks

I tried all options- even those under advanced. The moment I hit enter and the install starts I see a black window and two lines and then all screeens (I tried several) go blank.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!