Unsupported video frequency while installation of PVE 7.2

mattb

May 27, 2022
Hi,
yesterday i tried to install PVE on a Dell PowerEdge R210.
Therefore i put the ISO on a bootable USB stick. After clicking "Install proxmox" on the first proxmox page the monitor became black and showed "unsupported mode".
The monitor was connected with VGA on the integrated graphic card. So i tried the same with two other monitors. But every monitor showed the same message.
According to the message the frequency of the video signal was 36 Hz.

In an older thread (https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/proxmox-3-4-out-of-range-at-install.21206/) such a problem already was discussed.
At that time the solution was to press the enter button even there was no image shown on the monitor.
I tried the same without any success.

I checked the BIOS settings if there were any configurations concerning the integrated graphic card.
But i only found a configuration to enable/disable it.

Finally i installed PVE 7.1 without any problems.

Does anybody know such a behaviour?

Best regards
mattb

khe91

Jul 24, 2020
Had the same troubles with HP DL380 and PBS 2.2.
Installed then PBS 2.1 and updated to 2.2.
Guess it's a problem of the 5.15 kernel and simplefb.

mattb

May 27, 2022
Had the same troubles with HP DL380 and PBS 2.2.
Installed then PBS 2.1 and updated to 2.2.
Guess it's a problem of the 5.15 kernel and simplefb.
Today i updated PVE to 7.2 without any problems.
In a few weeks I have to setup two other servers. Then I will try to install 7.2 on these other machines again directly.

abbynormal

Oct 18, 2018
Can confirm that that I ran into this same issue today. Dell R610, installing via bootable ISO USB and connected to display via onboard VGA port. After hitting "install proxmox" in the GUI installer, video output become unsupported by monitor.

Installing via 7.1 and upgrading was an applicable workaround.

Last edited:

djraimondi

Jun 13, 2022
Also can confirm on a Dell R710 and Supermicro Hyve. idrac and IPMI will show the correct monitor view though.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get your own in 60 seconds.

Buy now!