Unable to get device for partition 1 on device /dev/mmcblk0

Mar 21, 2018
Hi guys.

When I try to install PVE on my device I get the error "Unable to get device for partition 1 on device /dev/mmcblk0".

I've tried selecting ext4, xfs and zfs, but nothing worked.

I'm installing from a 16GB USB 3.0 and the device is a Teclast TbooK 16 Power with a 64GB Samsung eMMC.

Any help is appreciated.

Hi,

Proxmox VE is not made for install on USB/eMMC/CFCard or equal.
Proxmox VE have to be installed on a SSD/HDD. The OS will write some GB logs per day.
A USB/eMMC/CFCard or equal will not last long with this many writing.

Hi,

Proxmox VE is not made for install on USB/eMMC/CFCard or equal.
Proxmox VE have to be installed on a SSD/HDD. The OS will write some GB logs per day.
A USB/eMMC/CFCard or equal will not last long with this many writing.

Hi Wolfgang and thanks for the reply.

Too bad. This device is just lying around and I was hoping to play around with PVE on it.

Could I connect an SSD via USB though and install PVE on that?

Hi Wolfang I am having the same issue and My eMMC came installed as the hard drive of my Win10 minipc and the manufactuyrer says they last a long time and my PVE installation is not long term anyway....why am I not able be able to at least install PVE ? Thanks in advcance

Reactions: matt604
Hi Wolfang I am having the same issue and My eMMC came installed as the hard drive of my Win10 minipc and the manufactuyrer says they last a long time and my PVE installation is not long term anyway....why am I not able be able to at least install PVE ? Thanks in advcance
I have the same issue with a eMMc disk. Its strange because its a mini pc with windows 10 too.

Reactions: matt604
Not sure if this is solved for other but found this article and it worked for me.
https://ibug.io/blog/2022/03/install-proxmox-ve-emmc/
This also worked for me.

It would be good if Proxmox added this into the core code base. Whether it's recommended or not, arguably it's a bug for the installer to even display MMC devices as an option and then fail when someone selects that. The solution is very quick and just requires adding two lines of code to /usr/bin/proxinstall:

Code:
 } elsif ($dev =~ m|^/dev/mmcblk\d+$|) {
     return "${dev}p$partnum";

If MMC devices aren't recommended, it's better to put that in the documentation than give people unexpected installation failures. People using Proxmox are technical enough users to understand the trade-offs (eg they're learning, temporary installs, old hardware for a backup server, using high endurance devices etc).

Reactions: masterjack
I tried this with PVE 8, here I can‘t find the lines to edit in /usr/bin/proxinstall. Is there a way with PVE 8, too?

I tried this with PVE 8, here I can‘t find the lines to edit in /usr/bin/proxinstall. Is there a way with PVE 8, too?
Starting with 8.0, you need to edit /usr/share/perl5/Proxmox/Sys/Block.pm, not /usr/bin/proxinstall. I had the same problem, so after analyzing it, I had to fix this.

A more detailed solution is left in my post. (I recommend using a translator because it's Korean.)
https://url.kr/ysqweu

Last edited:
@namyounsu Thank you for the information. I've updated my blog article on https://ibug.io/p/49.

Hi iBug,
unfortunately it seem not to work as you intended:
20230918_193320.jpg
I use the latest pve installer. Maybe they changed something or I got lost somewhere?
Would be great if you could help once more.

Best regards,
Peter

Edit: I think you presume that a beginner like me is able to use "nano", well unfortunately thats not the case. Is there a more convenient way to edit the target file?

Last edited:
Is there a more convenient way to edit the target file?
Unfortunately no. Since Proxmox VE is Debian under the hood, some level of familiarity with Linux CLI is required. Basic tasks like text editing shouldn't be too hard if you follow some tutorials online. Good luck on your learning.

Unfortunately no. Since Proxmox VE is Debian under the hood, some level of familiarity with Linux CLI is required. Basic tasks like text editing shouldn't be too hard if you follow some tutorials online. Good luck on your learning.
Thank you for your reply.

I think I just made the "common experience of a windows user" ;)
Just wanted to install Proxmox on a emmc mini pc and stranded with problems, hours of reading incomplete guidance and trying and trying. Just to learn that the edited file seems not to survive a powercycle..?

Well, unfortunatel I have not enough time left to live (sad but true), so Iˋm back to Windows HyperV.

Thank you anyway!

Thank you for your reply.

I think I just made the "common experience of a windows user" ;)
Just wanted to install Proxmox on a emmc mini pc and stranded with problems, hours of reading incomplete guidance and trying and trying. Just to learn that the edited file seems not to survive a powercycle..?

Well, unfortunatel I have not enough time left to live (sad but true), so Iˋm back to Windows HyperV.

Thank you anyway!
As @iBug said, this workaround basically requires some familiarity with the Linux CLI. (ex. use vi..nano..)

Simply put, that file is a file that is copied only when running, and when you reboot, it returns to its original contents.

If you simply want to continue, you can press Ctrl + D to proceed with the installation.

I hope this helps you with your migration from Hyper-V to Proxmox.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!