Unable to get device for partition 1 on device /dev/mmcblk0

Mar 21, 2018
Hi guys.

When I try to install PVE on my device I get the error "Unable to get device for partition 1 on device /dev/mmcblk0".

I've tried selecting ext4, xfs and zfs, but nothing worked.

I'm installing from a 16GB USB 3.0 and the device is a Teclast TbooK 16 Power with a 64GB Samsung eMMC.

Any help is appreciated.

wolfgang

Proxmox Staff Member
Staff member
Oct 1, 2014
Hi,

Proxmox VE is not made for install on USB/eMMC/CFCard or equal.
Proxmox VE have to be installed on a SSD/HDD. The OS will write some GB logs per day.
A USB/eMMC/CFCard or equal will not last long with this many writing.

Mar 21, 2018
Hi,

Proxmox VE is not made for install on USB/eMMC/CFCard or equal.
Proxmox VE have to be installed on a SSD/HDD. The OS will write some GB logs per day.
A USB/eMMC/CFCard or equal will not last long with this many writing.

Hi Wolfgang and thanks for the reply.

Too bad. This device is just lying around and I was hoping to play around with PVE on it.

Could I connect an SSD via USB though and install PVE on that?

Reuven

Oct 22, 2019
Hi Wolfang I am having the same issue and My eMMC came installed as the hard drive of my Win10 minipc and the manufactuyrer says they last a long time and my PVE installation is not long term anyway....why am I not able be able to at least install PVE ? Thanks in advcance

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE and Proxmox Mail Gateway. We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get your own in 60 seconds.

Buy now!