moustachemolle

Feb 7, 2023
Hi first time posting here.

I've been working on my homeserver for the past couple of months using proxmox. This is my first real attempt at making an homeserver and I was pretty happy with my installation with truenas, jellyfin, radarr, sonarr, etc... and I think I just broke my proxmox access and I'm not sure how to fix it without starting over with my vm's configuration...

So I was pretty bump to see that there was no cpu temp feature in proxmox so I tried to follow a reddit guide on how to add one with lm-sensors:
https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/rhq56e/displaying_cpu_temperature_in_proxmox_summery_in/

Sadly, after this command: "systemctl restart pveproxy" at the end of the guide I was kicked out of my GUI and SSH access. I tried revert the nano files I had changed directly on my proxmox machine and weirdly enough the "/usr/share/perl5/PVE/API2/Nodes.pm " directory was missing... I managed to revert what I had changed under the "/usr/share/pve-manager/js/pvemanagerlib.js" directory but it didn't help... So I tried to unistall and re-install lm-sensors but it didn't do anything.

I tried to find a solution on multiple forums and I haven't manage to made it work. Tho with this command: "systemctl list-units --failed" I found out that the following things were not working:

pve-guest.service
pvedeamon.service
pveproxy.service

I tried to fix those errors but It was a bit too complexe for me and It didn't end up anywhere so I'd like to fix it without losing all my data and progress I've made because as a noob, it took me a long time to achieve this and I would be really mad to lose it all for a cpu temp add-on...

Any idea what the problem could be?

**Ps: english is not my native language, so I'm sorry if there's some mistakes :))

Thanks

Last edited:
None of the changes from your link should break SSH, no idea what's going on there.

Probably easiest if you just reinstall the packages and reboot the system.
apt install --reinstall pve-manager proxmox-widget-toolkit

If it still doesn't work, please show the error messages of the broken services and in the syslog.
Is SSHD running? Is a firewall (potentially the proxmox one) blocking access? What's the error message when trying to ssh into the server?

None of the changes from your link should break SSH, no idea what's going on there.

Probably easiest if you just reinstall the packages and reboot the system.
apt install --reinstall pve-manager proxmox-widget-toolkit

If it still doesn't work, please show the error messages of the broken services and in the syslog.
Is SSHD running? Is a firewall (potentially the proxmox one) blocking access? What's the error message when trying to ssh into the server?
Myeah I'm starting to use proxmox and I'm still a bit lost tbh. I probably made a mistake trying to install the CPU temperature feature or even before that which could have broken SSH...

So I tried to reinstall with the command that you gave me and it refused to download it.

Unsure if the screenshot provide the actual information you asked me but I tried to provide you with enough information to help me identify the problem.

Thanks again !

Attachments

• Reinstall Error.jpeg
    Reinstall Error.jpeg
    939.3 KB · Views: 9
  • SSH access.png
    SSH access.png
    316.5 KB · Views: 9
  • sshd status.jpeg
    sshd status.jpeg
    801.6 KB · Views: 9
  • System Log.jpeg
    System Log.jpeg
    629.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Broken Services.jpeg
    Broken Services.jpeg
    761.3 KB · Views: 9
Please actually read those error messages in the screenshots :/
The reinstall doesn't work because you don't have any proxmox sources configured. First update, then install. Please have a look at our wiki, it explains how https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Package_Repositories#sysadmin_no_subscription_repo. Is there a reason you did remove them in the first place?
The SSH problem is related to a host key change, you should find a solution and explanation in the internet quite easily.
The SSHD doesn't work, please read the error message you got. The order of arguments is wrong.
In the system log, it states quite clearly that there's an error in a certain file. I suggest you revisit your code and try again (or just reinstall)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!