[SOLVED] Tuner Card Issues with Plex Container

baker12

Apr 18, 2019
Hi all,
So I've created an Ubuntu LXC Container and I've been trying to get it to access the WinTV-QuadHD PCIe TV Card that I use for Plex. My Config file currently looks like this

Code:
arch: amd64
cores: 12
hostname: plex
memory: 2861
nameserver: 192.168.0.6
net0: name=eth0,bridge=vmbr0,gw=192.168.0.1,hwaddr=8E:C5:BE:74:50:72,ip=192.168.0.10/24,type=veth
ostype: ubuntu
rootfs: local-lvm:vm-105-disk-0,size=8G
searchdomain: 192.168.0.6
swap: 512
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow: c 195:* rwm
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow: c 511:* rwm
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow: c 212:* rwm
lxc.mount.entry: /dev/nvidia0 dev/nvidia0 none bind,optional,create=file
lxc.mount.entry: /dev/nvidiactl dev/nvidiactl none bind,optional,create=file
lxc.mount.entry: /dev/nvidia-uvm dev/nvidia-uvm none bind,optional,create=file
lxc.mount.entry: /dev/nvidia-modeset dev/nvidia-modeset none bind,optional,create=file
lxc.mount.entry: /dev/nvidia-uvm-tools dev/nvidia-uvm-tools none bind,optional,create=file
lxc.mount.entry: /dev/dvb/ /dev/dvb/ none device,optional,create=dir

And even with the drivers installed I still get this line on the log when I start the container

Code:
lxc-start 105 20190418023149.344 WARN     conf - conf.c:mount_entry_on_absolute_rootfs:2308 - Ignoring mount point "/dev/dvb/"

In my messing around of things I've gotten the log to go as far as each "file" of the tuner card but still nothing. Any ideas?

Thanks!

So I was able to get it working. I also figured out that there are 2 places for the LXC Config files and while I was editing the one I was supposed to be editing, the main second one was not. However, I'll put what I have in the config file for future reference for anyone who has this issue. I wasn't too far off, thankfully,

Code:
arch: amd64
cores: 12
hostname: plex
memory: 2861
nameserver: 192.168.0.6
net0: name=eth0,bridge=vmbr0,gw=192.168.0.1,hwaddr=8E:C5:BE:74:50:72,ip=192.168.0.10/24,type=veth
ostype: ubuntu
rootfs: local-lvm:vm-105-disk-0,size=8G
searchdomain: 192.168.0.6
swap: 512
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c 195:* rwm
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c 511:* rwm
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c 212:* rwm
lxc.mount.entry: /dev/nvidia0 dev/nvidia0 none bind,optional,create=file
lxc.mount.entry: /dev/nvidiactl dev/nvidiactl none bind,optional,create=file
lxc.mount.entry: /dev/nvidia-uvm dev/nvidia-uvm none bind,optional,create=file
lxc.mount.entry: /dev/nvidia-modeset dev/nvidia-modeset none bind,optional,create=file
lxc.mount.entry: /dev/nvidia-uvm-tools dev/nvidia-uvm-tools none bind,optional,create=file
lxc.mount.entry: /dev/dvb/ dev/dvb/ none device,optional,create=dir

I don't know if my issues were mainly being caused by the CLI tool reading from one file and the web GUI read from the other (which in turns updates the main LXC file).

How did you find the right cgroup for you container for the PCI card? I can't figure that out. Also how did you get the drivers working in the ubuntu container? I know you haven't been online in over a year so I'm hoping you see this, but my setup is exactly the same as yours (nvidia gpu passthrough + WinTV-QuadHD PCIe TV Card in an ubuntu container) and I can't get the tv tuner to work for the life of me. Any help you can offer would be very helpful!

Edit: I did more research on the dvb device and have the right cgroup, but am still extremely curious on your driver setup in proxmox for the tuner card.

Last edited:
Did you ever get this working, @kck17288 ? I'm trying to do something similar, ubuntu container but with a Hauppauge USB thing and while I've got the container to see it under /dev/usb and /dev/dvb, plex just won't see it, with or without hauppauge's drivers and ppa and stuff installed.

I couldn't figure out the tuner passthrough, but I wasn't giving up using lxc, so I returned the card and bought an HDhomerun for my plex instance. I see you are using the USB card though, I believe that was easier to do with USB passthrough into lxc, I was using the PCI card.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!