The Best Solution to build a Redundant SAN

yena

Renowned Member
Nov 18, 2011
Hello,
What do you recommend for a ZFS redundant two-node SAN?
I Will use ISCSI to connect it to proxmox.
My Storage configuration should support from 80 to 160 Tb of storage space.
Thanks!

That is a very good question. There is this project, but I haven't tried that. I read about some vendors selling ZFS HA, but I haven't tried that either.

The problem is that HA is not a part of the ZFS stack, which is very unfortunate. All solutions grown around this issue are more or less of the same approach: If it fails on one node, mount on the other node and expose from there.

In every setup I ever encountered, the solution was in the end a commercial project that does HA already, but misses ZFS of course.

Does it have to be ZFS? Can't you use Ceph with only 2 copies of the files?

For ZFS I would setup Replication every 5 minutes so when one node fails you will start on the other node with the 5 min old data.

Do you plan to have the 3rd node on a small device do that you can establish quorum to avoid split brain situations?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!