Support, what is included ?

mel128

May 9, 2011
Hello,

I've read the subscription agreement and saw : We do not support modified packages, third party software, community projects upon which our releases are based on, code development, system and network design, designing security rules, backup and recovery strategies and high availability design.

May you precise what is supported ?

Thank.

Michel

the agreement includes a list of what is supported. its clear that we cannot fix bugs inside third party tools, but we still help in debugging (if possible).

we help to fix issues in our own software packages. maybe you ask in an example so then we can explain how we handle it.

I have an example that I can't seem to get straight, and I had this question in mind when thinking of purchasing a support ticket.
Problem with third-party included:
I have a basic Napp-IT/OmniOS installation serving NFS to my Proxmox Cluster.
I have done any settings in ssh outside of the Napp-IT installation instructions.
I have successfully created a pool, and ZFS dataset on the pool.
The pool benchmarks fine, and I can add the storage to Proxmox as an NFS share just fine.
I can create a VM using KVM. Speeds are awesome and fully saturates 2gbit
When I try to upload an .iso or create a container using OpenVZ, it fails with, what I believe, permission errors.
CT fails on the first task of changing permissions of a file.
This is a fresh install of Napp-IT/OmniOS without any changes or updates. This is a fresh install of Proxmox v3.0.
I have NOT done anything with the "no_root_squash" as I'm not sure if that's the issue or not. This is a production system, so I didn't want to mess with it much.

How does this example work.

When you activate NFS on a file system you must remember to specify root mapping. Eg.
rw=@x.y.z.v/[1..32],root=@x.y.z.v/[1..32]

Hello Tom,

I've any problem to pay for a support, but when I call the support, I wait a solution, not a help to find it by myself.

What I'm afraid about, is what you do not support. As an example, "We do not support ... community projects upon which our releases are based on". I believe that if you sell support for the Proxmox VE, you should support each part of the original Proxmox VE, no matter you wrote it or not.

More over, I'm really confused about HA. On your web site, HA is cleary a feature of Proxmox VE, but in the support faq, you wrote "We do not support ... high availability design". What does it mean ? What do you support about HA, where is the border.

Best regards.

Michel

Hello Tom,

I've any problem to pay for a support, but when I call the support, I wait a solution, not a help to find it by myself.

yes, our support helps to find a solutions. you buy it and you get what you pay for.

What I'm afraid about, is what you do not support. As an example, "We do not support ... community projects upon which our releases are based on". I believe that if you sell support for the Proxmox VE, you should support each part of the original Proxmox VE, no matter you wrote it or not.

More over, I'm really confused about HA. On your web site, HA is cleary a feature of Proxmox VE, but in the support faq, you wrote "We do not support ... high availability design". What does it mean ? What do you support about HA, where is the border.

Best regards.

Michel

Planning High Availability services involves a lot of parts and not only a resource manager. We support of course the HA functionality in our software stack, but for example we do not configure all your third party network switches to be fully redundant. This is a very needed component for reliable HA but this has to be done by you (or by your network admin or switch vendor).

When I try to upload an .iso or create a container using OpenVZ, it fails with, what I believe, permission errors.
CT fails on the first task of changing permissions of a file.
This is a fresh install of Napp-IT/OmniOS without any changes or updates. This is a fresh install of Proxmox v3.0.
I have NOT done anything with the "no_root_squash" as I'm not sure if that's the issue or not. This is a production system, so I didn't want to mess with it much.

How does this example work.

I faced the exact same issue when i setup Napp-IT+OmniOS for the first time to store Proxmox VM. The way i overcame was no-root-squash.

I did not try the solution provided by mir above which i did come come across at that time. But since mir was the one who introduced me to Napp-It+OmniOS and he knows what he is talking about, his method probably the best solution for this issue. :)
Root squash on OmniOS worked for us since it was an isolated network with Proxmox Nodes being the middle man between SAN and public LAN.

The way i see it, it really was not a Proxmox Issue. but received helped on the Proxmox forum nonetheless.

I faced the exact same issue when i setup Napp-IT+OmniOS for the first time to store Proxmox VM. The way i overcame was no-root-squash.

I did not try the solution provided by mir above which i did come come across at that time. But since mir was the one who introduced me to Napp-It+OmniOS and he knows what he is talking about, his method probably the best solution for this issue. :)
Root squash on OmniOS worked for us since it was an isolated network with Proxmox Nodes being the middle man between SAN and public LAN.

The way i see it, it really was not a Proxmox Issue. but received helped on the Proxmox forum nonetheless.
The solution that mir proposed is "no_root_squash". That is how you set it according to the illumos pages.
I must say, that the solution does work, but my implementation settings were off. I will give short answer here, and explanation on original forum thread:
The issue I was having was rw=@192.168.0.0/24,root=@192.168.0.0/24 is not in my subnet. My OmniOS IP = 192.168.222.** as well as my Proxmox install. Changed it to @192.168.222.0/24, now everything works without a hitch. That's what I get for copying and pasting everything.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!