[Suggestion] PVE separate fileds for ram general ram usage and zfs pool ram usage

jazini110

Nov 22, 2022
Hi all,
When using zfs pool for primary storage in pve, it uses nearly total ram for ARC service...
I cant predict how much ram left for me,
separating ram usage from services that relative to zfs and VM ram usages can solve this problem

Thanks

I cant predict how much ram left for me,
You never can and that is sadly the truth. You will always run in situation in which you have in sum enough memory available, but it is so fragmented, that you cannot start your VM or you will receive OOM actions. The chances of that are increasing with uptime and memory operations (balloonig, starting/stopping processes etc.). You are right in that sense, that using ZFS will also increase the chances for such a situation, so you need to constraint your ARC in order to predict your memory usage and optimize for that.

I mean that "PVE WEB GUI" shows two fields for ram usages, not separating it from roots...

for example
pve_ram.jpg

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!