[Suggestion] Comment/Description field to accompany VM disks?

reidanb

Dec 25, 2021
Hi,

Wasn't sure whether to post here or create a GitHub issue.

Whilst managing VMs it's generally a hassle to cross-reference disk IDs all the time and I can imagine lead to people accidentally deleting the wrong disk - especially when more than one disk is on the VM with same pool/capacity. Could I suggest the implementation of a metadata field to allow users to set a description for disks? I made a crude mock-up, attached.

Thanks!

Attachments

• desc.JPG
    desc.JPG
    235.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Reactions: Dunuin
You can already set notes on disks. However the support for it is only in API for the moment, if I am not mistaken, and only on select storage backends:
CephFS, Directory, CIFS, PBS and Blockbridge:

pvesh set /nodes/PROXMOX_HOST/storage/blockbridge/content/vm-100-disk-0 -notes "volume notes for volume0"

The first 3, being file system based, keep notes in a special file. I am not sure where PBS keeps them. In Blockbridge we take advantage of extensible metadata that can be programmed into the disk on our side.

It happened around here: https://lists.proxmox.com/pipermail/pve-devel/2020-November/046072.html

Code:
root@pve7demo1:~# pvesh set /nodes/pve7demo1/storage/blockbridge1/content/vm-100-disk-0 -notes "volume notes for volume0"
root@pve7demo1:~# pvesh get /nodes/pve7demo1/storage/blockbridge1/content
┌────────┬────────────┬────────────────────────────────┬────────────┬───────────┬──────────────────────────┬────────┬───────────┬────────────┬──────────────┬──────┐
│ format │       size │ volid                          │      ctime │ encrypted │ notes                    │ parent │ protected │       used │ verification │ vmid │
╞════════╪════════════╪════════════════════════════════╪════════════╪═══════════╪══════════════════════════╪════════╪═══════════╪════════════╪══════════════╪══════╡
│ raw    │ 132.00 GiB │ blockbridge1:vm-100-disk-0     │ 1645724996 │           │ volume notes for volume0 │        │           │     0.00 B │              │  100 │

Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Last edited:
Reactions: reidanb and Dunuin

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!