[SOLVED] sshd refuses to start on LXC Ubuntu 23.10 after updating openssh-server

dani0031

Oct 19, 2024
Germany
Hello,

thought I'd post my findings as I have no clue whatsoever why this happened.
I eventually found the solution through google and a bit of trial and error.

Problem:
After apt -y upgrade the systemd service sshd.service shows an error starting and sshd is non-functional.
Manually running sshd -t reveals that it errors out with "Missing privilege separation directory".

Cause:
According to /lib/tmpfiles.d/openssh-server.conf sshd needs the directory /run/sshd.
The directory is not present and is not created at boot.
This is new behaviour after the update. Yet, it seems this is a known problem, as I found an old post about this in a ubuntu forum[1].

Solution:
Get the directory to be created at boot.[2]
There are multiple ways to achieve that, in my case I added a systemd service.

content of fix_sshd.service
Code:
[Unit]
Description=fix sshd.service
After=network-online.target

[Service]
Type=simple
Restart=on-failure
StartLimitBurst=1
StartLimitInterval=30
User=root
ExecStart=/bin/mkdir -p -m 755 /run/sshd

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

edited sshd.service "After" line to include my new service,
After=network.target auditd.service fix_sshd.service

made the file that links to /etc/systemd/system/sshd.service which is /lib/systemd/system/ssh.service immutable,
chattr +i /lib/systemd/system/ssh.service
(not sure if I needed to, but I don't want another package update to break it again)

and finally rebooted.
Now sshd works again.

[1]: https://askubuntu.com/questions/111...g-privilege-separation-directory-var-run-sshd
[2]: https://askubuntu.com/questions/110...aused-by-missing-var-run-sshd/1110843#1110843

Reactions: dani0031

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!